PMDD users...help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
For those who are using Sears Conlin PMDD recepie, I have some questions regarding the phospate content in it. The approach of this recepie is to provide a balanced diet for aquatic plant at the same time limiting phospate so that algae wont thirve in planted aquaria.

Considering that I already feed my fish alot and phospate are available in my water column, by adding PMDD fert. which contains phospate, would it actually create an extra amount of phospate that leads to algae bloom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:51 PM

Quite possibly yes. Maybe not a case of green water (if thats what you mean by bloom) but more likely excessive hair, beard, staghorn, etc.The Sears Conlin recipe is unfortunately a "one size fits all" solution to dosing ferts. I dont think most people use this recipe because it really should be finely tuned for the specific aquarium. Many (myself included) dose each fert dry. This way you can dose only what you know (by using test kits) your tank is using up. I dont recall how much KNO3 is in the recipe, but I would suspect that it may be more than you need considering feeding and po4 already in your water supply.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:56 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you don't dose them dry you should at least mix them up seperately and dose them seperately. PMDD gives you a control over the levels of nutrients in your tank that is very hard to match with any commercial product.

Dosing dry KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon per 10 to 12 gallons of water will give you approximately 10 ppm of N.

If you know dosing P is going to cause you to have too much in your tank, don't, the current idea behind PMDD is to tailor the nutrients to the tank, not to the recipe.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

what do you mean dose them dry? you can just put the pwoder in and let it dissolve?....what if my fish eats it and get food poisoning?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:50 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Take a cup of tank water and dissolve the dry powder in that before putting it in your tank.

Are you the guy they have that tag on hairdryers for? You know the one that says 'don't use in the bathtub.'

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqarit
what do you mean dose them dry? you can just put the pwoder in and let it dissolve?....what if my fish eats it and get food poisoning?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was laughing so hard at the food poisoning part. But I dissolve them in a tiny bottle and dose as I need them, once you know how concentrated it is, you know how many ml to use to raise it how many ppm. Use chuck's calculator. Works pretty well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Don't laugh at me!
It's ok it was meant to be a joke...fish could die from eating it, who knows...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode