HELP! My Axolotl's! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP! My Axolotl's!

I think I may have put to much liquid C02 in my tank because my axolotls gills look like they are rotting away or something. The gills are not as fluffy as they should be. In fact it almost looks like they don't have any at all.... I'm freaking out. As soon as I noticed this I've been doing water changes. Small ones. I'm not sure what's going on. They aren't eating, or being as active as they were. How do I fix this!?!!! Can I put melafix in the water or something to help them get their gills back!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I definite would not try melafix. I know that you should not use melafix with air-breathing anabantoids, and i suspect that it may be a problem for axy gills too.

Personally, I would move them to a different tank where you are not using CO2 to see if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If I could I would, but I unfortunately can not. I know that axolotls have amazing regeneration skills. Could they regenerate their gills?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
DO NOT dose anything with axolotls, they absorb chemicals very easily through their skin and it can damage their livers and other organs.
DO NOT use melafix as it is liver toxic to axolotls.

If you need ANY help with your axolotls I would suggest going to http://www.caudata.org and posting there

DO NOT dose liquid CO2, this can be toxic to amphibians
even using CO2 can be dangerous with axolotls as it can cause a shift in PH
additionally the amount of light needed for a well planted tank that needs CO2 would be much too high, axolotls are sensitive to light and cant close their eyes
It is always recommended to avoid adding any additional chemical to an axolotl tank

Do a complete water change and keep an eye on them
Theyre amazing healer and can even grow back sections of their brain so their gills should grow back with clean and cool water
Axolotls need water temps of 68 degrees or lower
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

Ive been dosing ei for over a year woth my axolotl.. also run a diy led with pretty high par. And co2 cranked way up.. have also dosed excell multiple times..

Maybe I just have a tough little monster, but nothing I do seems to affect her.. always active and eats like a hog.. an earthworm every day or two... she is definitely the toughest aquarium animal ive ever owned..

The only incident I have had with her health caused by me was ee and the boys got a little jazzed up one night I let a few people handle her without washing there hands and she had some spots on her skin for a few days. Wont do that again.. she is def a crowd favorite. .

She did eat a fullgrown corydora once and his fins went through the bottom of her mouth.. after 10hrs I pryed her mouth open and removed it... her mouth healed in a day or so. she ate the other one just fine.. unfortunately..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode