fish id please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
hey all,
my soon-to-be father in-law is an avid fish keeper and has some new fish that he forgot the name of. they are currently fairly small: 1-2 inches long each, but will get to be about 6 inches long. i think they look like fat gouramis with chipmunk cheeks. he says that eventually their scales will spell out words in chinese.
any ideas?

thanks
kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe he has the 'flower' cichlids that are all the rage in Asia at the moment. They are a hybrid of South American cichlids. Not something you are likely to encounter in nature. I looked at a website about them a while back. I can't remember the other name for these things. Anyone else?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 12:13 PM

Yeap, they call it Lo-Han. I'm not sure the scientific name of it though.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeppers. i found a forum and am currently stunned. they are posting pictures of fish that cost more than $300 as adults and can get bigger than 6 inches long.
i had no idea.
i was reading just a bit and they don't sound very hardy at all. they are pretty though.
thanks for the help!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a flower horn cichlid alright. It's not a natural species, but rather a man made one. It can survive and thrive in almost any water condition and will eat anything, especially plants. They are very aggressive. Kind of reminds me of Dr. Frankenstein's fish. What ever you do please do not release these fish into the wild if you get tired of keeping them.

They also can reach 10" - 12" in size. A lot of the forums out there like to imply that this species, if you can call it that, is a hard fish to keep. I had a couple back when they were about $500 a fish and found that they have huge spawns and are near impossible to kill through neglect. I believe that most of these flower horn forums want to keep up the "weak fish" appearance to keep prices high.

Del Goins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 AM

The price was driven high from Asia. A few thousand each was common for nice ones. But the market dropped last year and all breeders went back to discus, arowana and fancy goldfish there. I was in Asia last September and almost all Flowerhorn or Lohan stores either closed down or changed to goldfish. Many fish were thrown to the river.

Opie's right. They are very hardy and their personalities are very similar to Oscars. Except that they are not as greedy during feeding as oscars. Don't feed them live fish cause they like to play with them. Sometimes, they put them in their mouth and spit them back out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode