Dipping plants in bleach - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dipping plants in bleach

How do you go about this? And does this really prevent snail eggs from growing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep, dipping in bleach will destroy any eggs or algae in present state. But don't bleach the roots.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How exactly do you do it?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Use a solution of 20:1, water to bleach. You can use a little more or less. I never measure things exactly. I usually give softer plants a 20-30 second dip and harder plants like anubias can go for a minute. After that, rinse them very well and then dunk them in a cup of water with an excess of dechlor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Anubias is very hardy plant and can hand bleach dips well (at least the ones I've done) They've stayed in for 5 min at normal solution dilution.. one time I did a very very very weak bleach dip, left them in a half hour (something happened, forgot about them yikes!) they did fine and had new leaves in a week.. still healthy too. But I do NOT recommend intentionally keeping them in that long, ever.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
How do you go about this? And does this really prevent snail eggs from growing?
A careful inspection with a mechanical removal and rinse off in water if necessary works too.

Last edited by Steve001; 05-02-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Okay how about driftwood? Is it possible to let it sit in bleach for awhile, then rinse?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've never heard about not bleaching a plants roots. Either way, I've only bleached anubias, roots and all, they did fine.

Wood should be boiled or baked (wet).

Last edited by Acro; 05-03-2014 at 03:53 AM. Reason: A comma was needed.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How about substrate? could you bake substrate to remove eggs?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When you ask about bleaching wood you may need to do some really simple thought about what happens when you do. Reading a bit tells us that chlorine reacts with just about anything organic. That mean everything from the grease on your shirt to the bacteria in water. The chlorine in bleach is the same as chlorine in drinking water, just less water to dilute it in bleach. When we drink water with chlorine in it, we smell the chlorine as it gasses off. So when we soak wood in bleach water and pull it out to dry, the chlorine does the same thing and gases off to blow away.
You may hear stories about some residue that stays in the wood? Wood is an "organic"! So does it make sense that chlorine that reacts with organics can really set in an organic without reacting? That's kind of like trying to store fire in a cardboard box!
Soak,rinse, and let dry totally and you know it is safe to use .
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I respect what your saying PlantedRich, and it makes sense, but do you have factual scientific info to back that theory up? I mean the part of the bleach leaving soaked wood. I truly would love to see, it would make things easier than baking wood all the time. (please note, this is said seriously, not sarcastically).

As for substrate like gravel and sand, I've always boiled mine. I have a pot just for boiling substrate. lol
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Basic chemistry; the primary ingredient in bleach is chlorine. Chlorine evaporates.

As long as wood has dried completely, there is no possibility of chlorine/bleach remaining. (Now if there are some other ingredients in the bleach used, such as surfactants, etc, those may be another story... but if the wood is rinsed before allowed to dry, the chances of those remaining in any significant amount are slim to none. But to be on the safe side- just use "normal" household bleach... without all the fragrances and thickening agents and other stuff.)

On the flip side... good luck getting rid of all snails with bleach. Snails have this annoying habit of ducking themselves into shells that are quite capable of protecting their soft bodies from bleach. IME, there are usually at least one or two that survive, and one or two is all it takes...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, all I'm really looking to use the bleach for is to dip plants in. Usually the only snails on the plants I've gotten is eggs. I'm assuming the eggs have no way to defend themselves like that?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Pond snail eggs? I think you'd have better luck removing those cases and jelly masses with your fingernail. I wouldn't count on bleach getting to every one of the eggs through their covering, either.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess I'll have to do both. and possibly start a small quarantine tank lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode