Are these plants totally dead? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are these plants totally dead?

Hi all, I'm new both to plants and to the site Please help if you can! I apologize if this post is way too long. I think it's mostly the pictures.

Ok, so I ordered some plants online (only lfs around has a very small, snail-infested selection) and they didn't come for almost 2 months. I'm very new to plants and don't even know how to tell if any of them could possibly be saved.

Green cryptocoryne wendtii - That one actually looked ok. The base roots were firm and looked a healthy white color and had tiny green stems and leaves all over them, so I trimmed off the brown stuff and put that one in a tank. Not sure if it needs any special treatment to make sure it grows now.

Red tiger lotus - It arrived as a tiny bulb with no shoots or anything and was completely dry. I did some looking online and found that I should drop it in a container of tank water. If it floats (it does) then it's less likely to grow, but still might, so I should wait a few weeks. Or maybe I should give up? Or maybe there's something I can do to magically bring it back?

Christmas moss - I was pretty excited about this one, but it arrived totally dry and completely brown. There was also a twig and a dead leaf from a different kind of plant in with it. It's soft and doesn't smell bad- it smells earthy. I think there's a green tint to the brown on one or two tiny little leaves lol. You might not be able to see...or maybe I let wishful thinking get the best of me Sorry about the awful handwriting lol (because I know people love when you write on photos in the first place ) - The red * marks something I can't identify - another random twig or a root? It seems kind of intertwined, so I didn't want to pull on it.

Echinodorus Amazonicus - just a type of Amazon sword I think. If I had to guess...I'd say this one's totally dead. It's very brown and there are some tiny black spots in the bag, though I can't be sure if that's mold or dirt specks of some kind. There was some condensation in the bag and it doesn't smell bad.

Java Fern - This arrived in a vacuum sealed bag. It looks like maaaybe I can save it? There are totally brown leaves but there's also a couple that look dark green. There's some fresh green around the roots.

Anubias Nana Barteri - This also seems to have arrived in a vacuum sealed baggy and there was some condensation in it. The main leaves looked brown and see-through and came right off when I cut the bag and peeled back the top layer of plastic to take the plant out. It looks like there's some green where the roots are.

If anyone could tell me if any of these can be saved, I'd really appreciate it! And if they can be saved, then how should I do it? How do I prune away dead stuff and how do I best care for what's left so they might be saved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm going to vote- most likely not. I'm guessing you got these from a seller that ships (illegally) out of Asia and commonly sells on Fleabay (we aren't allowed vendor reviews on this forum or I'd name them)? Last I heard, they were pretty good about giving refunds.

My advice- buy plants here from fellow hobbyists.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'm going to vote- most likely not. I'm guessing you got these from a seller that ships (illegally) out of Asia and commonly sells on Fleabay (we aren't allowed vendor reviews on this forum or I'd name them)? Last I heard, they were pretty good about giving refunds.

My advice- buy plants here from fellow hobbyists.
lol yep - I didn't know until after I bought them that the people didn't have a permit. They gave me a refund after 4 weeks. Thanks! I'll take a look at what people here have for sale! Maybe I can find someone selling a red tiger lotus - Seems to be the hardest to find :/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
I agree with laura the plants are definitely dead. There may be some life left in the java fern rhizomes though, they look slightly green. I'd cut off all the dead leaves and add them to the tank. See if they grow.

Would you mind if I added your photos to a database I am making of common plant deficiencies and damage? I will give you credit for them. I sent you a PM.

Also, be careful of ordering from overseas, it is the buyer's responsibility to get a phyto certificate. If they catch you getting illegal plants they will hassle you every time you travel at the airport, check all your packages and you may even be fined.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapins View Post
I agree with laura the plants are definitely dead. There may be some life left in the java fern rhizomes though, they look slightly green. I'd cut off all the dead leaves and add them to the tank. See if they grow.

Would you mind if I added your photos to a database I am making of common plant deficiencies and damage? I will give you credit for them. The site where they will be uploaded is www.deficiencyfinder.com.

Also, be careful of ordering from overseas, it is the buyer's responsibility to get a phyto certificate. If they catch you getting illegal plants they will hassle you every time you travel at the airport, check all your packages and you may even be fined.
Hm, ok thanks And yikes! Yeah, ordering plants from overseas seems dumb now anyway. If I have to buy online from any company I guess I'll get them from another fairly popular site based in the US although the shipping's kinda steep. The site I got these plants from was having a free shipping sale lol. Probably wouldn't be much different in price if I managed to find sellers here though. And sure - I don't mind if you use the pics
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Thank you! Also you might want to check out the for sale section on this site, lots of people sell plant packages and you can usually get a good deal.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
The bulb may grow and the moss may come back.

I'd put the bulb in a cup of tank water to see if it sprouts. Bulbs can often sit around in a dry environment and wait to be submerged again; that's how mine grew from one of those petsmart lotus bulb packages.

If you can, you might also try keeping the moss soaking in a humid environment (think like in a plate of tank water with plastic wrap tented over it, or in a vivarium or something). Moss can also last through a dry period and revive when given good conditions again. I'm actually doing the same thing right now with a half-dozen varieties of mosses that dried up over the winter in a window box. Some of them have already started to recover and show some green in under a week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode