What is considered an established tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
What is considered an established tank?

I've had my tank up and running for 3 years. Over the weekend I took out all the plants, rearranged the drift wood, and added more sand (only drained half the water). I also added a 2nd filter. So would my tank still be classified as established? All my fish and shrimp looked to be happy.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have learned to not put shrimp into a tank less than three months old.
They act really starved when you feed them if the tank is less than that in
age. It would seem that you have re-newed most everything in there except for the old filter. If the fish are acting healthy and the plants get growing well...then
it wuld follow that the tank is healthy. But with the new sand/plants...I would not add any shrimp for at least 3 months.
Trying to put any label like "established" seems to serve no purpose here.
It is a healthy tank. So far...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry I don't think my last post was clear.

I took out the plants just to rearrange them, then I put them back in. I already had sand in the tank, I just added more of the same sand to create hills. So everything in the tank was already there, only thing new is a few pounds of sand. I am adding more plants in the next week to change the look a bit. I also scooped out most the duck weed.

46 Bow Front Planted
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should be just fine, but have you tested for ammonia & nitrites just to be sure they have remained @ '0' ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
You should be just fine, but have you tested for ammonia & nitrites just to be sure they have remained @ '0' ?
Yes, everything is just how it was before, the water just looks more clear. But that's probably from all the batting I have in the newly added 2nd filter.

Not sure if it means anything, but my fish are more active now and not hiding all the time. Not sure that cause, but it's nice!

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The statement about the shrimp is because the fry eat micro bugs found in the micro algae that is on everything in an established tank. You may still have some of it left.
If you put back the original plants, they still have some on them also.
They do have technical terms for the algae and things the fry eat but I don't remember those names. But after what you just described I'd say it is still established.
Really as long as the old filter was not messed/w in any serious way, the tank should be better than before. Just that you might have lost a small amount of the BB when you covered the old sand. Actually if the water doesn't get cloudy in the next couple of days, you didn't loose enough to matter any.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to know thank you. I'm adding amano and bamboo shrimp, and I know they can't breed so not worried about fry. I only have about 12+- RCA's and plan to rehome so I can add rams. Was just trying to figure out if I can order my shrimp now or have to wait.

Y'all are awesome, thank you for all the help!

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode