Tiger Lotus still puny - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a tiger lotus in a tank about 4 months old, and it still seems very small and compact. I am envious of lotus leaves I have seen at my LFS, in a show tank as they are probably 2x3 inches each. I have a few root tabs buried along with 100% eco-complete and still seem to have very small leaves. Is it an issue of age? I seem to have a few daughter plants now but the mother plant still seems to have small leaves. It really has very nice color but the leaves just seem so small. Anyone have the same experiences?
3.6 WPG
NO3 10PPM
PO4 .1PPM
daily micros, TMG 25ML with each water change
weekly 50% water change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:05 PM

I have a red one that's about 6-8 months in the tank. When I bought it, it had very tiny leaves. Now, they're about 2 x 3. I have two other red ones that are 6-8 months and 4 months respectively that aren't growing as fast, but still growing. And I have two green ones that are about 4 months in the tank. They are also growing, but not as fast. I don't use co2, and I have 2 watts per gallon, regular aquarium gravel. I also use flourish excel, flourish potassium, and flourish root tabs. I know they're heavy root feeders. Maybe the mulm buildup in my tank (I'm a bit overstocked) is particularly heavy under the big one. I don't vacuum near them for that reason.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 09:36 PM

yeah I have the same problem, except my plants have lost all their big leaves and have these tiny little leaves. The bulbs are begining to resprout though. I have been told that this is domancy related, so am waiting to see what happens.

Paul

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Planted Member

My Tiger Lotus grew 3 fold when I gave it a blackout for a couple days.

If you give it all the light it needs, it doesnt try to get bigger.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:55 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If your PO4 is truly 0.1 ppm, you might want to get it up between 0.5 and 1 ppm. Also, dosing K can make a big difference.
In my tank, lotus leaves reach 1 foot length...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:05 PM

I'm glad my tiger lotus is finally staying small. The 4"-5" wide surface leaves really blocked a lot of light. now that I keep those pruned, it doesn't send leaves to the surface as quickly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode