How often do you feed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How often do you feed?

In my 17g I have 8 rasboras and one big fat female guppy along with her 20 juvenile babies. I have been feeding twice a day with a good amount, checked the nitrates and whoa! It's at 40ppm. I did emergency 50% water change, I normally do 30% twice a week. Now to my question, you think once a day feeding will do, or twice a day but very little, Which is better?
I'll just wait for the baby guppies to grow up a bit and I'll take the female to petco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I usually feed just enough every 2-3 days. Don't know is that's right or wrong but it's worked for me so far. Fish are way more active on this schedule.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

if the food touches the bottom of your tank, you're overfeeding IMO.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I overfeed by quite a bit. My fish are very reclusive and I tend to overdo it most of the time, attempting to make sure they see it. 2x daily.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
flake or pellet every couples days, frozen every couple days.

my fish tend to go a few days between feedings, sometimes a week... which reminds me, i need to feed the fish in the 12g...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

I feed my fish every morning at 6:00am. I mix frozen shrimp, frozen bloodworms and flakes in a bowl and stir it up with some aquarium water and serve it up with a turkey baster. I just cap the bowl and put it in the fridge and serve the leftovers the next day.
My 5 barbs eat half a baster serving before it hits the bottom. The rest lands in plants and on the bottom. That's for my 8 Cory cats. I do the baster serving 3 times.
I may be over feeding. But I love feeding time as much as the fish do.
But also, I have a 65gal canister filter on a 20 long tank and do two 25% wc weekly. The filter could have a lot to do with it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I feed about 5 evenings per week. Rarely go two days in a row without, but often will choose to skip a day.

I have guppies, betta, and corys.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I feed maybe 4-5 times per week and not very much at all.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
My fish eat once a day except for the betta fish, she eats every other day, I don't want her plugging up!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well it sounds like I'm way overfeeding. I usually don't feed this much, the guppies just eat so fast and a lot. The food barely touch the water and it's quickly eaten, I don't even follow the two minute rule. I forgot, there are also over 100+ cherry shrimp with babies. I'll start to feed once a day and try to skip a day of no feeding, they're not going to like that.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Algae Grower

Once a day here.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I feed as needed and keep an eye on stomachs for ques if over or under feeding.
I don't have the fish you do, but I feed my active betta male x2 a day (hes not fat and still forages), my otos x2 a week with a zuchini slice (betta will eat some with them.. honest, I have photo proof), large leopard sailfin pleco 1x a night with large chunk of zuchini (or lettuce) and an algae wafer, Madagascar rainbowfish.. technically 2x a day flakes for lunch ad a crumb of algae wafer at night (most but not all nights),shrimp about every other day with tiny sprinkle of algae wafer (still getting feeding amount/times down don't want to over feed can't see bellies to tell easily).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
In my 17g I have 8 rasboras and one big fat female guppy along with her 20 juvenile babies. I have been feeding twice a day with a good amount, checked the nitrates and whoa! It's at 40ppm. I did emergency 50% water change, I normally do 30% twice a week. Now to my question, you think once a day feeding will do, or twice a day but very little, Which is better?
I'll just wait for the baby guppies to grow up a bit and I'll take the female to petco.
i feed once every 2-3 days.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Algae Grower

My tank is in the office, so I feed once daily M-F.

My dwarf gourami is literally ALWAYS eating though. When there is no food in the tank he is constantly foraging for algae and any other plant matter he can fit in his mouth. He leaves piles of bright green veggie-turds all over the aquarium non-stop. They fill the substrate, they collect in the marimos, and they are delicately draped over all the anubias leaves. I have to shake all the plants out before I vacuum the substrate.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow I never realized I must be over feeding. I feed every day 2x a day. My Angelfish are always hungry though, they know what the food can looks like and swim to the top looking for me to drop the food in.

40gal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode