ClOuDy WaTeR! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ive had my tank set up for about two weeks now and my water is slightly cloudy. when i look through the side of the tank it is a slight greenish color. looking at it straight on it just looks cloudy. could this be the start of the dreaded green water? what should i do? did a 50% water change thursday and it didnt seem to help. ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Algae Grower

Could be Bacterial Bloom??

My tank was cloudy when i first set it up for about 4-6 weeks. Same type of green/white cloucy water.

-Mike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

what should i do then?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

also what is the ideal temp for a planted tank? i read somewhere on the krib it should be 74. my tank is currently at 82. should i lower my temp?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 PM

74-76 would be good temps. The cloudy water is probably an algae bloom, pretty common for a new tank. I like to use a product called Algae Fix, safe for plants and fish, whnever i get a bloom in a new tank. It works great, I dose 1 1/2 the recommended dose and 1 hour later, no more green water. The water stays a little opaque for about a day but then turns crystal clear.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I used accu-clear drops in my tank when the cloudy water just wouldn't go away, within 2 hours the tank was crystal clear even when viewed from the side. The tank didn't stay crystal clear for long, but it stayed clear enough.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Before dumping chemicals of all sorts and kinds into your tank, sit back and relax. Give it some time. There will be bacterial blooms and algae explosions, and there are plenty of fix-right-aways, but most of them do more harm then good. Save the cash, and look at this as a natural way of finding a balance.

If you throw Super Turbo Power Clear in double strength into the tank, the water might clear up in an hour. But if you wait a few days and it clears up all by itself, whatever caused it has met it's natural match, and most likely will never show up again. Balance! Same with green water. If you let it run it's course, it will not show up again. If you fight it with heavy machinery, it will go away, but wait for it's chance to come back any moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:59 PM

LOL, Wasserpest, "Super Turbo Power Clear", its pretty simple actually, you can suffer through a month or more of pea green soup as you wait for nature to take its course or use a proven, safe product to speed this process up. I dont know about you but I would rather have a clear tank and sort out the balancing seperately than stare at a green tank for a month. But hey, some people still dont have electricity, running water or inside toilets. Imagine that!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

so just leave it alone then? hw long do you think it will take to clear up?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Green water has lasted in my newly setup tanks a mindnumbing 6 to 8 days. Bacterial blooms (hazy water) maybe 3 days. A recent algae outbreak in my 10 gal tank about two months. Getting better now.
There are many ways... You choose whatever seems best to you!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I had a bacterial bloom for weeks, when I used the accuclear it went away. The tank might have found balance, but the dead bacteria was just too small to be filtered.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode