Trouble keeping L. repens in good health: - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I always thought this was one of the "easy" plants, but I've never had good luck with it. All the L. repens I've ever had ends up with ratty leaves that constantly come off the plant. The stems also fall apart after awhile. I have no problems with other plants like glosso, etc., but the L. repens just always looks bad.

I have it in my 10-gallon tank with 3.6wpg and pressurized CO2, as well as my 5-gallon with 3.6wpg and it looks unhealthy in both tanks.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? All my other plants are healthy and thriving... lots of pearling going on in my 10-gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:48 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had the same problem before. The planted them seperately (give some space). They seem to thrive after that. If planted in bunch, the stem become skinny and the leaves are very weak.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 11:47 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The only time I ever had a similar problem was from putting them too deep in the substrate, the stems rotted quickly and unnoticed. I recut the end of the stems and just floated them for a couple weeks and then replanted them shallowly and they took off. The strange part is though that these plants will thrive just floating or planted in the substrate so I couldnt understand the "rot" I got from this. Im wondering if the "rot" somehow travels inwardly through the stem like a disease and effected the entire plants ability to get nutrients. :roll:
Cant prove that but I can say that the new stem cut and float period sure helped. Once they do start, they are a very easy plant to keep.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode