White fuzz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
White fuzz

Hi all! I recently set up my 20 gallon high as a planted tank about 10 days ago. At the moment, I have this very faint, delicate looking white velvet fuzz growing on just one of my driftwood pieces. What is this white fuzz and what, if anything, do I need to do about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddis fly View Post
Hi all! I recently set up my 20 gallon high as a planted tank about 10 days ago. At the moment, I have this very faint, delicate looking white velvet fuzz growing on just one of my driftwood pieces. What is this white fuzz and what, if anything, do I need to do about it?
hey freiend do u use sand substratete?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like a bacterial bloom. I had it on a piece of grape vine that had it bad which I ditched. Someone else on here has the same issue within the past few weeks, I'd have to search for it though.

I'm currently having a small bout of it in one of my cubes. I've just been knocking it off with a pipette and doing daily water changes and siphoning it off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 AM
Algae Grower

I usually associate white fuzz with mold. IME it simply goes away after a while (couple weeks). I've seen some fish actually nibble at it. Don't know if it is particularly toxic, but I had no deaths at the time.

You could scrub it off, but it will probably come back; mold grows where it can find nutrients, your driftwood might just be rich in the good stuff right now.

I've never tried it, but boiling the driftwood for a while might break down the nutrients on the surface that the mold wants.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It's a bacterial bloom on the driftwood.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
Let it be and itll go away by itself
All new driftwood grows these white fungas.. Totally normal and fish safe so don't worry.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input! Not using sand substrate, I'm using black fluorite by seachem. And I tried the boiling trick with all three pieces of my drift wood, but only one piece has the white fuzz. Boiled all three pieces for 4-5 hours with frequent water changes. I'll just keep an eye on it and do my regular water changes. Sounds like its a "new tank syndrome" occurrence? And it will go away on its own?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Algae Grower

Not so much new tank as new driftwood, it happened to me in a well established tank.

It should go away just fine

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode