YIKES! What just happened to my DIY CO2???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please Help! I have two fairly new yeast mixtures in my DIY CO2 setup (one is a week old, the other one is about at the 2 week mark). Last night, the whole tank was pearling and everything was hunky-dory. This morning, I look and all of my diffusion bells are almost EMPTY!!! What the heck happened???? From the lack of CO2 my PH just went up to 7.2 overnight when usually it stays around 6.7 or so. The only thing I did was clean the filter last night. YIKES! HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Your mixture probably needs to be replaced. What recipe are you using currently? Could be leaks - take a bucket of water and submerge the entire DIY CO2 system (bottles and tubes) and check for leaks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Algae Grower

I find that the amount of sugar i put in matters. For example i put in 1 cup of sugar in 1 2-liter bottle along with one teaspoon of yeast and my bottle produced C02 for alomost 3 weeks. But then i decided to use 2 cups and a little more yeast and it produced WAY more C02, but fizzled out and stopped after 6 days. When i opened the bottle, it smelled of alcohol, just as much as if the bottle was there for 3 weeks.

-Mike

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey Rolo. No leaks, I just checked.
Hey Mustang and others...is 1 cup sugar & 1 teaspoon yeast the best combo? I usually don't measure. And I always add a pinch of baking soda. Any idea why it would go from 60 to 0 overnight?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
I use 2c sugar and 1T of yeast and it lasts around 2-2.5 weeks. So maybe yours just ran out.

Maybe I will try the 1c + 1t mixture and see if that lasts just as long or longer. It will be cheaper and seems it will last just a long as my mixture I currently use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:21 PM

Did the temperature drop a lot that night? I think yeast is pretty temperature-sensitive... Anyone (more knowledgeable) want to verify this?

^iMp^
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Nope. I'm here in southern cali., and it's actually been pretty warm at night lately.
I sterted a new yeast mixture. Is there any way to get the CO2 going faster? I'm worried about my plants!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 PM

dont worry your plants will not die because the co2 ran out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

The are things you can do that can help with the longevity of your DIY CO2 mix. One of the things that "stalls" CO2 activity is that different yeasts have different alcohol tolerances. Some yeasts with "low" alcohol tolerances will peter out when the alcohol level gets too high.

One of the by-products of living yeast metabolism is alcohol -- another is acid. The baking sode helps the yeast survive the acid accumulation a little longer. one reason that the yeast doesn't last as long with more sigar is that the alcohol accumulation gets too high too fast for the yeast. There are yeasts used for brewing that can survive higher alcohol concentrations.

You can boost-start your yeast by using an additive "yeast food" in your mix (also available from brewing suppliers). Champange yeast is supposed to tolerate alcohol well and last longer than baking (bread) yeast. I will be experimenting with such things as Champagne yeast, yeast food, and the use of maltodextrin (instead of regular sugar) to try and arrive at a steady and prolonged CO2 production.

If I arrive at any significant results over the next few months I will be sharing info as I go.

Sincerely,

Earnest Steve
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve! You actually answered another question of mine before I even asked. I always wondered what the effect was of adding baking soda to the mix. You know, some poeple don't use it at all! But I have generally found that my batches last longger when I use it, so what you say makes sense.
You should definitely keep us updated on the yeast experiment! Let's call it "the great yeast experiment of '04" I actually have a brother in the wine and champagne business, so I wonder if he could get a hold of some of that special yeast...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Algae Grower

Just for GP's: The Champagne yeast I recently found was $4.00 for 6 X 5gram packs, and that included shipping. I have seen it around for $.99 X 1 pack (not including shipping).

Earnest Steve

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode