Slow down plant growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Slow down plant growth

I'm 18 and I LOVE planted tanks. They are beautiful but as I get older and try to balance school, a job, friends , family and my girlfriend I don't have as much time anymore. I love the fish and I won't get rid of them. I have a planted 30 gallon and it's very thick and overgrown because the plants are overgrown. I have a dual t5 and I dose flourish trace elements once a week. The plants grow so fast. How can I reduce plant growth but still have healthy plants or should I do fake plants?

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
I'm 18 and I LOVE planted tanks. They are beautiful but as I get older and try to balance school, a job, friends , family and my girlfriend I don't have as much time anymore. I love the fish and I won't get rid of them. I have a planted 30 gallon and it's very thick and overgrown because the plants are overgrown. I have a dual t5 and I dose flourish trace elements once a week. The plants grow so fast. How can I reduce plant growth but still have healthy plants or should I do fake plants?
fishnet your lights, raise your lights. Lighting would be the simplest way to slow growth. You could probably cut back on trace ferts in proportion to the cut back you make with your lights.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
30H or 30L ?
Zoo Med has a single bulbT5 fixture listed in the Reptile section of on-line stores.
It would work better in a lower tank though. Fish don't need artificial light if there is a window in the room so you can put the light timer on 6 hrs a day starting at noon or 1P.M. so you can see it after work.
Curious how you have gotten along without full fert without plant problems but could
be the type of plants as some don't require as much as others.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (75/99%)
play with light intensity and/or photoperiod

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode