Walstad method, what am I missing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Walstad method, what am I missing?

I've been reading about the Walstad method, and I think I get the basic idea: soil, a lot of fast growing plants like water sprite and hornwort, no filter. The fast growing plants absorb ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and reduce the need for filters or water changes.

So why do you need soil for this? Why doesn't this method work with any substrate? I would assume that soil would only benefit rooted plants, but the ones people keep naming get nutrients from the water column, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Soil provides more nutrient than ammonia/nitrogen. There are other Marcos and micro nutrients. The nutrients will leach into the water column.

I've always used a filter with a dirt tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Aside from that aspect. Doing water changes is necessary regardless of her method. It replenishes minerals that have been depleted in the water by fish using them and plants using them.

Doing a flirted tank without a filter is a bad idea. Can you say constant cloudiness and no water flow creating a stagnant pool of water for fish to sit in?

Idk I just don't see the real point behind waist ads method when you can create a more healthy environment for fish with a good filter, good plants fast or slow growing. A good light and substrate. IMO

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
make sure to read the book itself, walstad goes into (almost excruciating) detail.

walstad tanks are closer to biotopes than say, a dutch style show-tank. some also add clay as an expansion of this idea, and I hear it also helps keep the soil in place. and if you dig down into any naturally occurring body of water, what do you find? dirt

some only use a powerhead for water circulation, some use canister/fluidized sand filters. personal preference, I think.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Aside from that aspect. Doing water changes is necessary regardless of her method. It replenishes minerals that have been depleted in the water by fish using them and plants using them.

Doing a flirted tank without a filter is a bad idea. Can you say constant cloudiness and no water flow creating a stagnant pool of water for fish to sit in?

Idk I just don't see the real point behind waist ads method when you can create a more healthy environment for fish with a good filter, good plants fast or slow growing. A good light and substrate. IMO
To much wrong stated here to mess with.
I like low tech as outlined by walstead. Having said that, skip the book and do research online here and elsewhere. Very little of the book is directly helpful to the average hobbies IMO. Much if it is too technical for most.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Almost 1 year with a total of 3 WC, no heater, no filter, no algae, and crystal clear water. One of my 3 same filterless set-ups https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3721737. The 4th one at 5g is only a month old. Trying is believing.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3644897

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=5508266

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=5587305

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in