Blackout - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Blackout

How long can a high tech heavily planted tank survive with out light? The reason for my question is my light fixture almost burned down my house yesterday. I placed an order last night and the new fixture won't be here till Wednesday.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
"Burned down your house?!"

I hope all is well...2'what happened?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
"Burned down your house?!"

I hope all is well...2'what happened?

Thanks, all is well :-) I was watching nba playoffs (Mavs vs spurs) and all of a sudden my wavepoint t5ho decided to blow some smoke :-) got thing I was watching tv or else if nobody is in the house all will be left is ashes :-)

This morning I opened the unit and the cause of the smoke is one of the bulb receptacle was burned, don't know how.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinH View Post
Thanks, all is well :-) I was watching nba playoffs (Mavs vs spurs) and all of a sudden my wavepoint t5ho decided to blow some smoke :-) got thing I was watching tv or else if nobody is in the house all will be left is ashes :-)

This morning I opened the unit and the cause of the smoke is one of the bulb receptacle was burned, don't know how.

Good to know. I don't think it'll hurt your plants too much. In fact, having nought for several days might help eradicate some (if any) unwanted algae.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Radio Shack may have a replacement part for that. If you can solder, you could replace it.
When you intentionally do a blackout, 5 days is the minimum recommended in most cases. But you should expect the plants to do nothing for at least a week after it.
But...the good part is that this is not a true blackout...as in black plastic bag over the tank. If there is any window in the room it will be far less than a real blackout.
If you have CO2 it will not get used up as much if a partial or at all if a complete
blackout. Either could cause an issue for any fauna...fish/shrimp.
There is no book on this one so I'd think less damage in lack of a nutrient to the plants is less important than suffocating the fish/shrimp. Still your call though.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks guys! i decided not to use the burned fixture i am not very good fixing electrical stuff :-) My tank gets maybe approximately 20 % to 30% ambient light from my windows, One question: should i stop my ferts dosing?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode