Low light = no CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Everywhere I read it says low wpg tank does not need any CO2 injection, because the need of CO2 only increases after the tank's wpg is increased.

So does this mean I can just stop the CO2 injection of my currently-densely-planted-tank and change the lighting to about 1wpg? Will I have the same healthy planted tank as before, only with less purning?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 07:40 AM

Not all plants can live under low light.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Increased CO2 will increase your plant growth rate even under low light. There is a nice article explaining the physiology at tropica.com. Click on aquaristic at the top, then biology of water plants, then read the 4 part article on CO2 and light for more info.

Tony

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Yep I did read lots of article about CO2. what I am curious about is that, by turning on light 12hrs, 3wpg, 25ppm CO2, aren't we basically providiing excess to the plant? (that's why my plant overgrown the tank very quickly). There should be a minimum required amount of both light/co2 for the plant to just survive and grow at an unoticable rate. This mean that one could save alot on CO2 tank refilling, Lamp life, electric bill, fertelizing the tank and water changes too (traces element are not being depleated as quickly anymore).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:58 PM

plants don't grow as pretty and dense if they don't get excess CO2 and light so you'll probably be succesfull in letting most plants survive and grow in low light and low CO2 conditions but don't expect them to be as pretty as in a high light and high CO2 tank...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 AM

Most low-light planted tanks are "starving" the plants of CO2, as no one bothers to add it. It just doesn't show up as a problem as the plants are growing so slowly anyway.

IME, all my plants look a lot better with CO2 addition, even in the low light tanks. Flourish Excel helps, but I've yet to see it out-do actual CO2.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 12:41 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
So does this mean I can just stop the CO2 injection of my currently-densely-planted-tank and change the lighting to about 1wpg? Will I have the same healthy planted tank as before, only with less purning?
You will eliminate pruning all together if you do this because your plants will just wither away and die.
Quote:
one could save alot on CO2 tank refilling, Lamp life, electric bill, fertelizing the tank and water changes too (traces element are not being depleated as quickly anymore).
Nobody ever said it was "cheap or easy" to grow a planted tank. Plant selection will determine just what needs to be done as far as lighting . Its all up to you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode