Please help ID this critter, driving me nuts!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Please help ID this critter, driving me nuts!!

Can someone please tell me what those are and how to get rid of them.

1) About 1/8 of an inch.
1) I first thought they were nerit eggs, but they are actually alive and moves
2) I then thought they are some baby snails, but they never grow up, what's in the photo is as big as they get (3+ months)
3) They come back rapidly, after manually removing all of them from my glass, they are right back in less than a day.

Does anyone know what they are? It makes the tank look really bad with those all over the glass.

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
How do they move? Looks a little bit like some leeches I had once.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
How do they move? Looks a little bit like some leeches I had once.
they move exactly like snails, i thought they were baby snails but am certain that's not the case anymore because they never grow hard shells or any bigger. I left them alone for 3+ months and none ever grew. But if i clean all of them out, they would come right back next day, so definitely reproducing somehow.

arggg!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Not positive, but I think they are fresh water limpets. I had a breakout of them with some new plants a few months ago. I would clean them off my class and do a waterchange, but they would be back in a couple days. I could not get rid of them, untill I got a couple assasin snails, and they wiped out the limpets.

Only problem I have is I have tons of assasin snails now, lol

LionelC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Freshwater limpits.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yah the leeches kinda reach out and pull themselves to move. Not leeches

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Greg

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

hey friened i hav theem in my guppay tank well they look same miene hav point like shell and movev very slow they havnt done any harm i think the may be just a barnical type thing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You actually can't easily get rid of the. Add in a nerite or other larger algae eating snail and their populations will reduce dramatically.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Limpets, it is a good sign you have them in your tank, your tank is healthy.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

but i want to get rid of them is there any cat fish or chemicals i can use to kill them off?

I already have nerite snails and shrimps in the tank, they not doing anything to those things.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm pretty sure any treatment that would kill limpets will kill the snails you do want, and possibly shrimp. Just reduce food sources or increase competition (larger snails). I don't know if anything eats them.

A little info from What is that bug in my Aquarium? on planetinverts.com: "Since freshwater limpets, Acroloxus lacustris, are so small and also move really slowly, it might be hard to identify them as snails. They are small and can't do much damage to plants, but since they are small, it's impossible to find and remove eggs and the baby snails. Harmless."

Deborah
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

As I said above, assasin snails will eat them.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelC View Post
As I said above, assasin snails will eat them.
ok so i need to take out all my nerite snails, keep them somewhere else, put in assassin snails, get rid of limpets, remove assassin snails, then put nerite back.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Well, you could get a couple assasins, let them clean up your tank and then remove them. At that point you could get some more nerrite snails.

OR you can live with the limpets.

I could not stand them, mostly because they would cover the glass. There would be 15 to 20 on the glass every day.

Maybe someone else will have a better option, but when I had this issue, no one had a good idea for a shrimp tank with limpets.

So good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode