help with rock arrangement - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have these rocks and a really fat 6" high one thats not in the tank. ive never seen an arrangement like this so i have no idea where to go from. the current arrangement doesnt look right, but i cant pinpoint exactly what it is. could be the distracting tank equipment. im in the planning stage, everything will be tidy after that. here's a pic. thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Ace

drop the high stone to one of the low ones might help....i am not good in rocks.. hehe
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Opinions... hmmmm.

I like the color of the rocks. I love petrified wood!

The stones look "placed". The stone in the middle in particular. It needs to be askew, not upright. The stones could all lean in one general direction. Not on the same angle, but in the same direction. You might also want to move the whole grouping to the left a wee bit.

This link might help you a little:

http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/manual/bm23.html

All in all, I think you are on the right track. Getting your "bones" (as I like to call rock and wood) in the right spot is a real tricky thing. it takes a lot of time and a lot of consideration. You picked out some really great looking stone, and have a good idea as to what you want to do with the stone. All you need to do is fine tune it a little!

I am sure it is going to look great! I think you need to start a journal so we can follow you progress!!!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 02:58 AM

I really like the way the rocks all 'dance' with one another...it intrigues me. If I were to change anything, I might put the big one off to a side instead of in the middle. I favor asymetry in designs as it looks more natural. Other than that, all you need is some more plants and a backdrop to hide the outside equipment.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

The large tall rock is very distracting. Maybe if you move it off to the side or a lay it on its side or remove it all together.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hey guys. thanks for teh comments. here's an update.
i think im going to settle and work with arrangement #3. i like the tall rock because it gives it a grande canyon look. now ill just wait for a glosso carpet to grow in. ill keep you guys updated. starting a journal in the photo album forum.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Ok I like these rocks a lot.. is that petrified wood?

Have you thought about using the shorter rocks to form a retaining wall, and fill it in with more substrate? Then you could have two planting layers and create some really interesting aquascapes... If you built the wall to sort of extend from about 1/3 of the way from the front glass to almost the middle at the back you could elevate one corner.. then maybe place a larger, taller stone in the back right corner? It may not even be needed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:09 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Build up the substrate from left back (high) to right front(low), use all the short rocks, tight against each other, to form an open (to the front) horseshoe on the slope. Use the large rock on its side in the back right as a retaining wall and build a terrace.

Hairgrass in the horseshoe, something frilly behind it, maybe a mix of red and greens (reds toward the center of the tank), Crypts up on the terrace, microsword in the foreground outside of the horseshoe.

Not that I have an eye for aquascaping mind you.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:30 AM

I personaly LOVE rocks in my tank and would "build" with them buy placing one on the other. Also (segestion2) I would Make it bigger in theback the slope it forward. _____
___
__
_
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
I like number 2 if you are going to grow a glosso carpet.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like #2 the best. It would be easier to decide with the addition of the plants. With all the rocks facing basically the same way right now, it takes your eyes away from the tank. But I think once you get the plants in there, the contrast will be good :roll:

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I would try something like this.

I know, I know, I am a geek. I was bored.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i think that the last image was nice.
but! i'd glue some java fern in there as well. on those rocks.
8)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would take aquascape #1 and remove the middle/biggest rock. That would look perfect...in nature nothing happens in even numbers.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I completely forgot about the odd number rule. always odd numbers, keep that in mind.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode