Columnaris treatment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Columnaris treatment?

Hey guys.
I had 7 Zebra Danios.
5 dies for some mysterious reason about 4 days after getting them.
The others had ripped fins with cottoney growths on them.
I made some posts on this forum and found out it was Columnaris.
What should I use to treat theses guys?
Also, 3 weeks or so before I added fish, I added eco complete. A couple pebbles of it floated and after a few days grew some white cottoney stuff on it.
I thought nothing of it at the time.
BTW I have a cycled and planted 20 gallon aquarium.
Please help me find a medication/ treatment for this!
THANKS!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM
Algae Grower

okay friened this maye not helap you but i when i had it i treat wis salt and whit spot meds in a hospital tank 2 weeks they wher fined the fine cottny stuff lifed of from them and left a wound wound heal in anofer week then i add to may maine tank 5 months later no sign of ilness
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.
There is no point in me really doing a hospital tank now because all of the fish are infected.
Also, the fins are pretty badly ripped, so can I use melafix?
By salt do you mean the aquarium salt not table salt?
THANKS!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumrookie View Post
Thanks.
There is no point in me really doing a hospital tank now because all of the fish are infected.
Also, the fins are pretty badly ripped, so can I use melafix?
By salt do you mean the aquarium salt not table salt?
THANKS!!!!!!!!
hi friened maybe uou fins will heal themself i know not much about melafix but if it is whitespot/ fungis treatmen you can try. my salte i add was seea sold from the big salt crystal it is real salt i wouldnent use table salt if it is iodine also mak sur not salt sensitive fish ar in the tnank and make sure to look up how much salt to treaat with please dont try this wiv out over recomendatin unless you are sure this method sounds good ( ites worked for mie) i only try this cause my last change to help them and i was braoke at the time

u ar welcume my friened i hoep for the best fo you

ps i think proper meds are methylene blue or potassium permanganate methylene is in whit spot meds and some salt but salt should lift the cotton off theam

(lowering the aquarium temperature to 75F (24C) is a must, since columnaris is much more virulent at higher temperatures, especially 85-90F.) taken from wikapedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columnaris
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

melafix is pointless at this point, you need some serious meds, columaris is probably one of the most difficult ones to treat, there are many strains, some act fast some are slow. if you want something easier to get, try jungle fungus clear tank buddies, if you have a good local fish store you can try kanaplex or ask them what they recommend, you can use potassium permanganate as a dip but not if it any where near the gills, the methylene blue can work if it is by the gills, I wish you luck, you can do a web search on how to do the dips
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sadly, this Columnaris took the lives of all 7 of my Zebra Danios.
Should I still medicate the water?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumrookie View Post
Sadly, this Columnaris took the lives of all 7 of my Zebra Danios.
Should I still medicate the water?
thas no good to hear sory for you loss my freiend if you hav no over fish you could recycle but i think calumnaris need a host to live so it shuld die out from tank if u got not over fish or aquarum life
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Algae Grower

I dealt with this a few weeks ago. I had a tank with 50 fish and 8 snails. Only 2 fish, 3 plecos and 7 snails survived.

I treated with Kanaplex for 8 days. If you lost all fish, you MUST sanitize the tank before adding more fish or ALL new fish will die again. Is SEVERELY contagious.

Take everything out of the tank EXCEPT substrate, heater, filter and fake plants/plastic decorations. Turn off heater. Discard media in filter(but leave filter going).
Do a 99% water change. add aprox 1C bleach per 15 gallons. Let sit for 4-10 hours(while your at work or such). 99% water change 2x. then add declorinator. I use pond stuff. Let sit for an hour.
Disinfect plants. I used H2O2 double concentration, double recommended time. Then disinfect with bleach. Double both again. You will have some live plants die. Oh well, better than more fish.
Boil the snot out of and real wood. Hours. Turn wood. Add water as needed. At least a few hours, depending on wood size. If wood wont fit in a pot, leave it in the tank, but bleach 24 hours instead of 4-10. Must remove wood before declorinating water. Submerge wood in a bucket outside, change water every few hours. after 24 hours, remove wood. Let it sit for a few days in the sun. To get it to sink again just boil it one more time and let it cool in the pot water. Then add to tank.

Anytime you get new USED wood, boil it first.
QT any new fish.
Use regular H2O2 bath for any new plants. USe it on snail shell, apply with a tooth brush GENTLY. Do not get on inside of shell. Do not salt snails.Snails dont 'get' columnaris but they can carry it. Same with shrimp.

A(t least one) pleco in every tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Columnaris can not survive in 3% salt solution for an extended period of time. There is alot of research out there on it cuz it effects many fish hatcheries.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2 questions is their any other way I can get rid of columnariss in my tank without doing all that such as adding good amounts of salt? Also, I hear people say 2 percent or 3 percent concentration of salt will kill off the columnaris.
How do I know what percent of salt I have

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode