A Way To Make a Rex Reactor Quieter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face A Way To Make a Rex Reactor Quieter

I have it running but it makes a gargling sound all day. Not that it's too annoying, but I want to see if I quiet it down before I do get annoyed by it. No bubbles ever come out the outlet. My co2 pumps in at about 2-3 bps. I attached a pic of how it's built and set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10169082_686776408046645_796294708_n.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	311802  

o .
. O
0 .
><///">
--- wasn't me bro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I never understood the length. Is it required to be so long? I have a reactor that is half the size, 3 of them actually, and none of them make noise. Not sure if making it shorter would help or not.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
A Way To Make a Rex Reactor Quieter

You should hang that power strip inside the cabinet.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 AM
Planted Member

Cheap nylon kitchen scrubys worked wonders for mine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might suggest moving the CO2 line back to closer to the original location. That will likely require cutting the "tee" off the body so much of the parts would be gone at that point. I would guess that the CO2 being put in through the large fitting lets it collect in a large bubble there before getting into the water. The diameter of the pipe seems more than 1 1/2 inch? Does this let the incoming water fall and splash inside the reactor? When the CO2 line is pulled through the side wall and ended in the middle of the water flow there is less chance of this and noise is not a problem. I use several built to the original desingn on 75 and 125 gallon tanks and they make no noise.

The problem would seem to be that you have moved so far from the Grigg's design that it is unfair to call it his design. There were many reasons for using things the way he designed them and when people "improve" the design some small points are lost. I would suggest the easiest way might be to start over and build it as designed.

An easier way to start might be workable. If you tilt the reacor so that the large space on the side formed by the tee is down, it might keep the large bubble from forming. Try filling the reactor before turning on the CO2. Might work/ might not?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why do you have what looks to be candy stashed under your tank? Is it like a self bribe to ensure you do the tank maintenance regularly? :-)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Why do you have what looks to be candy stashed under your tank? Is it like a self bribe to ensure you do the tank maintenance regularly? :-)
LOL or a treat for the fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode