Sword Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was given a nice looking amazon yesterday by a friend of mine. He couldn't tell me anything about it tho. Basically it looks a lot like this pic of ech. bleheri:

http://192.38.244.204/catalog/images.../varenr071.jpg

Tropica lists this plant as getting 20-50 cm high! Right now in my tank it's only about 6 inches high. The leaves are quite round and have about 4 inch stems. There's about 10-15 leaves.

What I really want to know is will this plant grow taller, wider, or what? What can I expect from this plant?

Also that long shoot coming out of it, is that where new plants form?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 05:46 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
That plant can get big in a 30 gallon tank, I've seen it happen. :shock:

That is a flower stalk and eventually, yes, if you keep it from drying out it will have baby plants on it.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

This is my amazon sword dead center. Sorry about the poor quality but it helps you get the point. The tank is 24" so you can use that to estimate the height. Now shown in the pic, are three new leaves springing up. Actually since i took this pic they are pretty much grown and i can see two more coming

As you can see, i've given this plant some room around it to grow as i want it to fill out and get big. You can also see the two runners with baby plants on them. They baby plants have roots on them so they are ready to come off but not sure if i want any more amazon swords in my tank.

-Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the pic mustang. So they keep sending leaves up higher and higher?

What is the best way to keep swords trimmed to a moderate size? It's a 36 x 12 tank so there is room but I don't want it to take the tank over.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Planted Member

I never really managed to keep my swords under control. I have a few in a 90 gallon tank (24'' high) and the leaf-tips are now floating on the surface. :shock: If given the right conditions, these babies get huge.

"Save me Jebus! And I don't even believe in Jebus!!!" Homer Simpson
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe my luck! I have just discovered that the sword I have is most likely ech. parviflorus. It's a much smaller, more compact sword that fits my needs perfectly.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

I had one of those. Unfortunately while rearranging my tank one day, i damaged it pretty badly (don't ask)

I got a red Melon Sword to replace it.

I've seen some pics of HUGE Amazon Swords. That's kinda what i'm hoping for with mine. I've given it plenty of room to go so in time it will look better.

I also have a small unknown sword in my tank. I need to start searching what kind it is.

-Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode