buffering choices - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's my best bet for buffering my pH when my CO2 kicks in? I'd rather stay away from more chemicals if that's possible. Someone told me she uses eggshells (about a doz/week added to her gravel). I have an assortment of shells fromt the ocean...all boiled and boiled and boiled. I could pick up some crushed coral. What do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

Either one will do the job. Crushed coral is the choice of many because you can tweak how much you put into your filter to adjust kH.
It does not act quickly however. You'll see it start to change in about 7-10 days.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:56 PM

Baking soda is the cheapest and easiest KH builder. I use a product called KH builder which comes in a bag, cost me 4 dollars and has lasted for nearly a year. The product I buy is probably baking soda, so why not try that.

Paul

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Which would be most stable, so as to avoid sudden fluctuations? It seems that maybe coral, even though it takes longer to affect the kH, might be more stable than something that affects it faster, like the soda. I'm just guessing here, so am way off base with that? How do I get these substances into my tank effectively? I have a hob filter, so where would I put the coral? And if I wanted to try the soda, how do I mix it in properly?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:10 AM

I don't know about the coral and a HOB, maybe you ought to think about getting a canister.

As for the baking soda I just drop a teaspoon or two straight into the water, it dissolves pretty quickly and then when it is dissolved do a KH check to see where you are. If you want higher KH simply repeat the process.

Paul
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumples riot
Baking soda is the cheapest and easiest KH builder. I use a product called KH builder which comes in a bag, cost me 4 dollars and has lasted for nearly a year. The product I buy is probably baking soda, so why not try that.
Can't be baking soda if it lasts a year.

I did some calculations that will tell you how many teaspoons of baking soda to add to raise buffering capacity X amount.
X = desired raise in dKH.
V = volume of water in liters.

Heres the equation:
Teaspoons = V(X/183)

That is, divide the desired raise in dKH by 183. Then multiply that number by the liters of water. (1gal=3.785L)

This is just the math if anyone wants to know.
1) 0.616g Na x (1mol/22.99g) = 0.0268mol Na
2) 0.0268mol Na x (1molHCO3-/1molNa) =0.0268mol HCO3-
3) 0.0268mol HCO3- x (61.017g/1molHCO3-) x (1000mg/1g) x (2) = 3270mg HCO3-/teaspoon
4) 3270mg HCO3-/teaspoon x (1dKH/17.3mg/L) = "183dKH/teaspoon/liter"

I have used the equation and have had 100% accuracy with it. It probably won't matter much, but this equation was calculated by using Arm&Hammer baking soda (I used there ratio of .626g Na = 1/2 teaspoon, since many of use don't have scales). But pretty much all baking soda has got the same grain size so it shouldn't matter.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Rolo737, for doing the math on that and for sharing That is something I would never even dream of trying to figure out on my own

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode