GREEN SLIME!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My planted tank has been running well for a while now, but I suddenly have an explosion of filamentous green algae. It is very long, maybe 8 inches and over, and very limp. For that reason its hard to get a hold of to remove. It looks like green slime when you pull it out.

Are there any conditions that this algae particularly likes? Does anything eat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:29 PM

sounds like blue green algae...aka cyanobacteria.

remove a little, and see if it has a strong odor (I describe it as sweet & pungent).
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
To me that description sounds really more like hair algae. I get those in my (nutrient-wise) neglected tank. Do you have some specs and parameters for your tank, other than that it has been running "for a while now"? :mrgreen:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, it's a 58 gallon well planted tank, pretty much filled with vegetation; nice glosso carpet, and a lot of stem plants. I use 3 vho bulbs and inject pressurized CO2 into a reactor inline with a Eheim canister.

I have been working with PMDD to try to understand the nutrient requirements of the tank, sorry I don't have any number at hand (I'm at work).

The one other oddity of the tank is that lately I have had problems with pale leaves, particularly with anubias, that had been bomb-proof for me previously. No amount of iron supplement seems to have any effect either.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Where is the slime in the tank. What is it on? Glosso? Front of Glass? Pictures?

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It started on the top of the front glass. Then spread to the uppermost lighted plant parts, and is starting to fill the whole tank...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:10 PM

What is your CO2 level? If you can safely raise it that might help the plants outcompete the hair algae.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
For a high light tank like this you need to have a good grasp on your macro nutrients. Pale leaves can be a sign of NO3 deficiency. Algae can too. What are your NO3/PO4 levels? Are you dosing potassium?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:03 PM

I only suggested BGA because my hair/thread algae has never been 'slimey'.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey, I picked up 4 flagfish and a couple of small rosy barbs. Algae gone!

Now I hope I don't have to worry about them eating the plants....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
I'm trying to get rid of mine with shrimp So far things aren't improving.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cich
I'm trying to get rid of mine with shrimp So far things aren't improving.
I have been trying with shrimp as well, I think they became an expensive lunch though for some of my fish as I have yet to see them in awhile (only 2, and small, but I assume lunch.)

Matt
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I have a nice collection of shrimp, but I guess you really need a zillion to do the job. I can't believe how fast the fish cleaned up the tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Yeah, they are HARD workers, doing the best they possibly can, but they're so small I'm going to try things like nutrient deprivation and no lighting for a day or more, or maybe even shortened photo periods. Any other advice, or comments on what I've said? Thankyou, I'm really despirate here :'(

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode