What Do YOU Think! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok Ok! I know I am a newb @ planted tanks but i'm educating myself more and more and I think im on to the right track! This is what I got:

10gal Tank
2 Whisper Power Filter 10's
1 Tronic 100watt Heater
1 20lb bag of Eco-Complete (Gives a good base)
1 10lb bag of fine natural gravel (all together makes 2.5 inches)
1 JKS ballast with 36watt CF lighting

Right now Im conditioning the water so I have to wait till tomorrow to add fish so IF ANYONE CAN LET ME KNOW ON A GOOD COMMUNITY OF FISH TO ADD AS WELL AS PLANTS THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

Also, right now I have the Natural gravel on top of the Eco-complete, I was wondering if i could mix the two together because the natural looks a little boring but I dont know if that would mess up the base for the roots of the plants?

FOR SALE:
I have a brand new 40gal on standby! If anyone is interested in buying it let me know! Brand new 40gallon with practically new black stand, I can provide pictures! Both for 140
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:17 AM

Looks good to me. Except that you may only need one Whisper 10 if you inject CO2. I use a Whisper30 and turn it all the way down or else gas out too much CO2.

It's ok to mix reg. gravel and Eco-complete. I did that in my 55 gl and the plants are fine.

For the plants, avoid swords and other big plants. I have Rottala, Moneywort, wisteria, Crypts, Lutea, Java Fern and dwarf hairgrass.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Well your Whisper 30 still filters more than both of my Whisper 10's right? So even if I put both on low or high It would do just fine I believe. I am going to have a lot of small fish like tetras in there so I need to keep the tank clear.

Any ideas on what fish to put in?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:55 AM

I put neons, rasboras and 2 ottos. The ottos are great cleaner especially those algae on the leaves that you'll almost for sure encounter. I've learned my lesson the hard way and will stay with small fish for planted tanks. Any tetras will do great. Get a school of them to make it interesting to watch.

My Whisper 30 is 150 gl/hr and when I turned it all tbe way down still has at least 80gl/hr (I think :roll: ).
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

So you really think its better if I just use 1 Whisper? Oh and will it look ugly to mix Eco-Complete with Natural Gravel?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:07 AM

I kind of regret after they all get mixed up.

Are you injecting CO2? The problem with HOB filter is the high surface agitation. The CO2 wasted there is quite noticeable.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

No I will not inject CO2...That is why I want plants that don't require CO2 Injection...Any thoughts? I have enough lighting for almost any kinda of plant I think...but I guess low-medium light plants without CO2 is great!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Actually, IF I can find an easy DIY then I might think about setting up a CO2 system but for right now its a no
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:37 AM

You've got 3.6 watts/gl. I have nothing to prove this theory but all articles and some people here say that if you pass 2.5 watts/gl, there is a need of CO2 injection. I use a simple coke bottle DIY method for my 10gl. Maybe there are plant experts here can help you with the plant types.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Do you think you can tell me how you did youre CO2 System? Will it cost a lot? If you can please give me a detailed description that would be really great Thanks!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 AM

This article will explain it :
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#1

It may only cost you less than $10. You just need to be careful not to have any leak or it won't work. I change the mixture every 3 weeks.

For the diffuser, I use the Hagen ladder but you can just stick it into your filter intake. The impeller will chop and diffuse the CO2 into the water.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I went for a year or so w/o CO2. My plants didn't die, but they sure didn't thrive.

Having switched to DIY CO2, it is SO cheap and easy, and the results have been SO incredible, I feel foolish for not having done it before. Just get some juice or soda, some tubing, sugar and yeast. I have had no leakage w/o adhesives simply drilling the holes smaller than the tubing.

With a 10g, I'd suggest you pick one kind of tetra - at most 2, and school them. I have always found serpae extremely hardy (and cheap!). Otos are always good in a planted tank. And a couple of cories. For color and flash you could add a pair of betta, tho some folks have found erpae to be nippy. Neons and glow-lites are probably less so, and sure flash nicely in schools.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:09 PM

I have the hagen natural plant system as my DIY, you can mix up your own concoctions to get great results. As far as schooling fish, my two favorites are Ember Tetras (Hyphessobrycon Amandae) And Cardinals. I had never kept Cardinals before and i am so impressed by them that I am going to up the school to 20 in my 90! The Embers are so Bright and graceful I have about 12 in my 90 also.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

How is that hagen natural plant system working out? I havn't heard too much about that system so if you can tell me how it is then that would be cool!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e17jo1
How is that hagen natural plant system working out? I havn't heard too much about that system so if you can tell me how it is then that would be cool!
I think it's pretty good. You need quite a few of them for a big tank though, I'm about to add a 3rd to my 55 gallon to achieve proper Co2 levels constantly. You can just buy the diffuser/ladders cheap and then DIY 2/3 Liter Bottles and get the same effects, but I'm one who is vain and wants everything to look nice so I've been dishing out the cash for these. OF course down the road when I have more money to invest I want to go pressurized.

Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode