How to deal with stinky tank water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you don't use carbon in a planted tank, what do you do to combat the stinky tank water? Change the water more often? I broke down tonight and threw a big bag of AquaClear carbon into my Eheim canister filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's stinky - there is a problem imho... I mean yes.. tanks have a humid wet scent - but if you need carbon and to ask about it.. then there is a problem.

How often are your water changes and the quantity? Fish Load? tank size? Plants?

Another Flaming Toy I Cannot Afford!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Member # 112

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I have allergy, and can't tell how the room actually smell. But if I put my hand in the water, and pull it out afterward. My hand smell pretty bad. In my 29G I have: 3 Harlequin Rasbora, 3 Cherry Barb, 2 foxface, 1 oto, 3 ghost shrimp, 3 amano shrimp. Last night, I've changed my water for the first time in a month.
Plants: Red Melon Sword, Water Sprite, Rotala Indica, Sunset Hygro, Pennywort, Moneywort, pearl weed, micro sword, telanthera, wendtii crypt,

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Texas, was this 'bad smell' similar to rotten eggs or sulphur?

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Probably sulphur
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:18 PM

As mentioned above, stinky water means something is not right.

I would suggest cleaning out the filter(s) and adding carbon for 3-4 days. Do a 10% water change and clear out any debris or dead leaves.

How long has the tank been up?
How deep is the substrate and what kind is it?
What is the smell - is it like a pond/marsh smell or sulfur/rotten egg smell?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I cleaned out the Eheim 2026 canister last night, there's quite a bit of loose leaves in there. The tank's been up for about 6 weeks. My substrate is 3 inches deep with Eco Complete & a little bit of Tec-Mineral gravel.
It's hard to describe the smell.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sulphur smell (Hydrogen Sulfide(sp?)) is created only in anoxic conditions. If it is this that you are smelling, it's probably caused by poor circulation and/or excess rotten veg.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unirdna
Sulphur smell (Hydrogen Sulfide(sp?)) is created only in anoxic conditions. If it is this that you are smelling, it's probably caused by poor circulation and/or excess rotten veg.
I concur.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Maybe I am missing something here :roll:

But what about weekly 25% to 50% water changes???

If the tank stinks, your fishies are suffering. Up those water changes. Clean out the filter weekly (yes, clean the sponges in tank water, I use the water that remains in the canister filter). Increase water movement (not surface agitation... water movement). Get those plants growing, they will remove stinky organics and leave the water pearly clean.

Did I mention water changes?

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I have very good circulation in my 29G (fishes are swaying back and forth as they're swimming against the current.) The smell is probably from the loose leaves inside the filter.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

>But what about weekly 25% to 50% water changes???
Water change have been a pain to do . I have a python hose, but the plastic connector on the faucet are worn out. I need to fix or replace that faucet today.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasState
Last night, I've changed my water for the first time in a month.
This sums it up. You need to quadruple your water changing routine: once a week, 25% (roughly)
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Quote:
This sums it up. You need to quadruple your water changing routine: once a week, 25% (roughly)
Sorry, but I disagree. A tank shouldn't need water changes more than once a month. If a planted tank is thriving then the water quality should be very good. It's more important to get the dead leaves and stuff out.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. A tank shouldn't need water changes more than once a month. If a planted tank is thriving then the water quality should be very good. It's more important to get the dead leaves and stuff out.
I have to disagree in this case. This guys tank doesn't seem to be thriving if it smells like rotton eggs. If there are that many "dead leaves and stuff" then there's probably something going on here.

Do some more water changes.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode