NEED SOME HELP QUICK! Golden Ram lost most of her colour and breathing heavily - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
NEED SOME HELP QUICK! Golden Ram lost most of her colour and breathing heavily

This morning she was looking fine, at least I didn't notice anything but honestly wasn't looking all that hard.

I did a small wc about 17gallon out of my 75g, this is the second time I ever did a water change, the first time during the end of the cycle it was a larger one almost 50% and she freaked out and almost went like a statue for a while.

I don't know if the wc has stressed her out and thats what this is but I am nervous. all other fish are doing perfect.

she has lost most of her colour and is breather heavier than normal.

I do wc with 5g bucket that I dose small bit of prime per bucket (1ml).

she is swimming with my male and picking at the ground. she was eating this morning too after the wc.

any ideas of what is going on?! i have no clue. i looked up diseases and can't find nothing that would compare to what she is going through. the only thing i can think of is stress. but why.

going to test water parameters right now. its been an hour since the wc.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might make several suggestions to look over. One, Check that you are dosing the dechlor before adding the bucket if you are treating only for the new water volume. If adding the five gallons and then only adding dechlor for the small amount, the diffusion in the large tank dos not work as well. If adding water and then treating, use the much larger amount fo the whole tank. Small point and not likely to be causing quick reaction as you are seeing.
If this is a new fish that is not fully at home yet, she may get far more scared than she might later.
More cover to help her get settled might help. Losing color and getting spooked is not unusual for newer fish. May not be a big thing if it goes away after an hour or so.

Testing the water is a good idea when anything looks a bit off. If nothing else it does help to assure us that it is right. Sometimes we get nervous and scared enough to lose our color?
Small point if this is a new tank. I find that the bacteria is a bit more prone to getting upset when A new tank filter is cleaned. Don't be too quick to clean the filter on the first go or two. Just give the bacteria a little more time before doing things that might disrupt their life?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode