Weird random idea... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has anyone ever thought about dropping a tiny portion of a Jobes stick into their aquarium filter to use as a slow release Macro fertilizer tablet?

I'm just curious.. not planning on running out and doing this or anything..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I have often wondered why there isn't a slow release stick or pellet, similar to osmocote, especially made for planted tanks.

Something that senses the current concentration and releases less if it is too high :P

Jobes contain Urea, and I heard that's not good to have in your water column. I haven't tried it though... Maybe this could revolutionize planted tanks... "Forget about that KNO3 and K2SO4 and KH2PO4 mess... Just drop a quarter Jobe into your filter once a week, and everything will grow like a miracle" Man... that just sounds too good to work :mrgreen:

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 PM

sounds like G has a product idea. keep it to yourself and make millions.

yaya.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 02:39 PM

How about this, you test it out, and tell us all how it works. We don't dare to test it out ourselves.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The trick is the slow release. A piece of Jobe's stick in the filter is either going to be too large to be safe or too small to last long. And if urea is an ingredient, then Hello Green Water. So a binder substance is the key- something to create the proper slow release. Tom Barr stated that he is working on this for a substrate amendment, but as far as I know, has not found a binder. The buffer for that is the gravel cap. I don't have to say how critical the release rate would be for something constantly immersed in fast-moving solvent (water).

I've got my hands full experimenting with substrates right now. Why don't you set up a little 10g and give it a whirl, Gareth? We're behind ya, bro! :lol:

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode