Favorite tools for planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Favorite tools for planted tank

Hi everyone,
I have a few tools for my tanks but I am not sure they are working very well for me. I have fluval flora planting tongs which are ok. I also have a Rio precision stainless steel trimmer (scissors) which I do like. Can you tell me about your favorite tools, the brand and why you like the tool or what it is used for? I am hoping to get ideas to make tank maintenance easier and more enjoyable.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 AM
DSP
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not really a tool but something I keep in all my bigger planted tanks now is a small powerhead for flow, Helps so much with algea and keeps detritus suspended for filters to pick up, Really helps with maintnence.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

Get a decent set of pincettes/tweezers those Fluval ones seem fine until you get another pair.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Get a decent set of pincettes/tweezers those Fluval ones seem fine until you get another pair.
Thank you Bizzle. I followed your link. I think you fixed my Tweezer problem. That model looks nice and pointy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
Thank you Bizzle. I followed your link. I think you fixed my Tweezer problem. That model looks nice and pointy.
Too bad bizzle's link isn't there anymore ... ? I'm also looking for some decent tweezers/scissors and would appreciate recommendations.

Deborah
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Ogal View Post
Too bad bizzle's link isn't there anymore ... ? I'm also looking for some decent tweezers/scissors and would appreciate recommendations.
got mine from DFS - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...578/3746/12164

from journal -
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
....I also made the sand rake and push rod thing. The rod is for burying loose balls of Osmo+. It's just a SS welding rod with a tiny concave appendage add to the end. I didnt want to overdo it using a full tab by every one the tiny crypts, etc, what I did was just sprinkle a few loose pellets all around them (they sink), then used the rod to push them down into the sand.

After applying this method, think I will do it more often because it's easy to evenly distribute the fertilizer around the plant, instead of having a big glob of it in one place. Just a hypothesis, but seems like it would make for better root growth, ie, in all directions.
Now Im starting to really need some offset scissors..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 AM
Planted Member

Oh, handy info ... thanks!

Deborah
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

http://www.amazon.com/U-P-Aqua-D-615-Professional-Tweezer/dp/B005VEWD28/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1397787899&sr=1-2&keywords=up+aqua+tweezersI lol'd when i saw prices for ada tweezers. I got some wave scissors on there too http://www.amazon.com/SubstrateSource-Professional-Stainless-Aquarium-Aquascaping/dp/B00H8D38ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1397790646&sr=1-1&keywords=substratesource+scissors they do the job on HC but i feel like you could get better quality for the same price if you were to look harder than I did But they do come with a free case that looks great in the garbage can.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 AM
Planted Member

More info, excellent ... Those aquascaping wave scissors sure are sexy. And pricey, ouch.

If anybody else has favorite brands, bring 'em on!

Deborah
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just put Tweezers into the search box on E-bay.
Sorry for the lack of brightness in this picture. The short tweezers and scissors are all 12". All from E-bay. Very sad that American pet suppliers have not woke up.
Have never seen any of these in pet shops YET.
I mostly use the long tweezer and the narrow scissors but bought the wide blade
scissors because the hinge in scissors seems to last longer in ones that are wider.
But the narrow ones have longer tips and cut through matts of plants better for it.
Don't see any reason that curved can't do what straight can do so why duplicate.
The curve in the tip of the scissors helps keep the blades together better than on straight ones. See no reason to buy $125 scissors from one of those rimless tank
enthusiastics shops(ego perhaps) but did find a source for ones made of Titanium
which cost about $75 but in all fairness should last better.
But I would like a pair of and don't know where to buy Pinsettes just for planting.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=56402
None of these cost over $15/w the shipping.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:03 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I got my tools all in a big kit off of fleabay. Think I paid ~$30 shipped for all six tools in a nifty little zipper case.

Some people just like spending more money for fancy stamps and stickers on their things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Get a turkey baster, great for sucking out soft, uneaten food, and agitating crap off of plants so you can siphon them out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode