banana plants --help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
there is not much info out there on these guys. Some say to grow close to the surface and others say they are a seasonal plant.
My problem is that mine has nice dark green tubors but the leaves melt away the day after they sprout. they will never make it to the surface this way, so they can make babies.
is it true they don't like deep or fast water? should I put them in a pot near the surface?
Help!
mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
These were one of the few plants available when I was a kid, used to put them in a 10g under incandescent light and kill them slowly. I put one in my tank as an impulse a couple of months ago and it grew beautiful light green leaves the size of my palm. I believe they're related to/are some sort of water lily. They will shoot a leaf to the surface at some point, but I don't know what triggers this, and with no info about your tank, couldn't hazard a guess about why they would die on you.

James
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

10 gal tank, 2 wpg compact flurescent light,(10 hrs Daily) no co2, fert 1cc hagens plant gro with iron 3 x weekly. tank mates are vals and water wisteria( growing furiously.)
Water is hard-- 12 0r 120. Ph is about 8.2
0 ammonia, nitrites. don't know about nitrates.
HOB penguin filter.
mouse

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

I have one in my 24" deep tank. WHen i first planted it it did not have any leaves. It's been 2 weeks and it has three small leaves now...all short.

A lot of guys say to only plant the bottom 1/3 of it into the substrate. I did this and it would not grow at all or put out any roots. Finally i planted the whole thing with just he top showing and after two days i could see roots on the bottom of the tank right under the plant. Leaves began to grow soon after.

-Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:18 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a banana plant. I got it with one small leaf. 29 gallon tank, 55W CF light, CO2. I planted the tips of the "bananas" into the substrate. It grew roots, and now I have 4 LARGE leaves!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
shoot, mousey, I don't see anything in your tank parameters to cause a banana plant not to grow. The main difference in your water is hardness; mine is soft, but I add Ca and Mg. Those vals and wisteria aren't shading it out are they? 2wpg should be plenty to grow this in. I got mine to grow in a non-CO2 tank with that amount of lighting and it was 20" from the surface.

James
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hardness shouldn't matter much. My tank is pretty hard, last recoreded GH was 18 deg on tuesday. (tap water is 24 deg)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 04:14 PM

I have about 4 banana plants in my 90g and they are HUGE. I have experimented a lot with these plants and found that they love an iron rich substrate. I have all 4 of mine buried almost all the way and in 1 month they each have 4 HUGE 6" bright green leaves and well as each having sprouthed a shoot that grew over 24" to the top and then across the top of the water which then opened to a lily if you wait it out they sometimes flower a small whitwe flower on the lily. I will post pictures soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh well i guess i just don't have "THE TOUCH" for this plant. have thrown it into the 20 gal tank and will see if it dOes better there.
If it survives til the summer I will try it outside in the bowl I keep my water hyacinths in.
i have tried burying it 1/3 into gravel and i give liquid ferts to the tank. maybe a change of tank will help.
Mouse

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode