New oto cats, keeping you guys updated on how they do. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
New oto cats, keeping you guys updated on how they do.

Anyone got some protips for good acclimation / keeping these guys alive?

Anything you feel that can help with survival would be great to know before i leave to go buy em. I been searching high and low in my area and finally someone got some yesterday. Petsmart. 14 day guarantee too.

UPDATE: 8 hours in and they are doing great. fingers crossed.

Last edited by philipraposo1982; 04-17-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hardy fish in my experience. As long as your tank is cycled and routine maintenance done they should be just fine. For acclimation a drip acclimation is always the best method for the fish if you don't know the parameters they are coming from. Other than that they should be just fine. They like to snack on diatoms if your tank has those. Otherwise I just toss in some algae wafers and veggie type snacks for them.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have had mixed experiences bringing in otos. The ones that never really ate came from Petsmart. None survived. I had a large school shipped from Wetspot (I think they acclimate their imports before offering them out) and they adapted to my tank just fine. My LFS refuses to bring any in because of high losses. There must be something those fish do not like about the importation process.

If anyone has a sure system for bringing in these fish I'd like to hear about it.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am picky when I buy them, get the ones with fat bellys, thats what I have done the last 2 times I bought them and they all survived vs 50% or less surviving
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Algae Grower

On this forum and elsewhere I've read about Ottos requiring microbes in their stomach to aid in the processing of their food. If the Ottos stomachs look to be caving in then they may not be eating due to lack of digestive aid. I believe some fish/disease treatments end up killing the microbes the Ottos depend on.

Sorry, no solid citation handy but if you have time to brush up on this concept it may be a major cause of Ottos not surving their journey.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaninspace View Post
On this forum and elsewhere I've read about Ottos requiring microbes in their stomach to aid in the processing of their food. If the Ottos stomachs look to be caving in then they may not be eating due to lack of digestive aid. I believe some fish/disease treatments end up killing the microbes the Ottos depend on.

Sorry, no solid citation handy but if you have time to brush up on this concept it may be a major cause of Ottos not surving their journey.
Ive heard the same thing and even if the otto has a full belly, but the microbes are dead then the otto will still doe from starvation because it cant break down the food. It been really hit or miss with ottos for me. The ones from petsmart especially are probe to die within a few days of me getting them.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

When I buy ottos I make sure they have been in the store for a week ottos. I've yet to lose in my newest tank. I usually only temperature acclimate my fish since I know the params of my tank are almost identical my LFS.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
5 for 6 from Petsmart. 30 minute acclimation with a bit of Prime. The water from my tap it's also really good though. Neutral pH and soft. It's hard to tell if you lose one though if your tank is heavily planted. Mine never took to vegetables but they lover the sinking wafers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Dude View Post
When I buy ottos I make sure they have been in the store for a week ottos. I've yet to lose in my newest tank. I usually only temperature acclimate my fish since I know the params of my tank are almost identical my LFS.

This may be the best strategy to use. I find that even if there is a fish return policy that a new fish who dies is instantly eaten by my other fish/snails. Either that or it is not worth the drive to 'return' the dead fish.

One of my LFS refrains from selling new stock until they have been in the tanks at least a week.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I came home with 7 of the oto's, they actually looked pretty good minus the little bit of damage to their tail fins... I have no idea what caused that because they were in a tank of their own.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Drip acclimate them for like 2 hours and you should be fine. I've had a half dozen that are over a year old without any deaths. I did recently lose one of my zebra ottos though which is weird because it was quite a while after I got them in.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzq...it?usp=sharing

here is a quick vid

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDDM...ature=youtu.be

how do i know if the otos are eating or just laying there?

There are in the tank now after about 2 hours acclimation. They aren't doing very much at the moment, mostly stuck to the glass and one swam to a dw piece and is laying on it. How active are these fish and when should I start to get worried?

I am sure they are simply stressed out from the whole transfer of tanks.

Last edited by philipraposo1982; 04-16-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: new info
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
They arw usually not active until night time/the lights are off

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

They love Hikari algae wafers and I find they do best if the tank has some of that benign green algae (beard?) that grows on rocks and wood under high light as it provides a constant food source. Keeping their bellies full is the key to their long term survival. Take your time acclimating them also, like twice the time you would use to acclimate a tetra.

The ones in your video look perfectly healthy, they tend to do a lot of resting between brief spurts of activity.

Last edited by Oxl; 04-16-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode