rearranged my tank, feedback please:) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
rearranged my tank, feedback please:)

hi, I rearranged my tank recently, tried to give the inside a bit more height instead of th eplants dominating and i'm also trying to grow a carpet of microswords in the bottom left. the stem plant in the back left is there for sucking up extra nutrients and is just there to do a job.

Looking for feedback on the layout and also any help on the microswords. it's been in there for around 2 weeks now and is over the last few days i have seen some runners getting sent out. I have seen conflicting info about whether this is a quick growing plant or a slow growing! haha

tank is 125l, has 2 x 20w powerglo bulbs, pressurised co2 at 1bps( keeps drop checker a dark green, is this right?) dose flourish comprehensive 2 x weekly. Think i'm going to start dosing macro elements too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140416_084430.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	306226  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The shade of green on the drop checker is not only an indication of the CO2 level but also an indication of how many drops of indicator solution you added to start with. You need to compare the color with what you started with, how dark a blue it was. 1 BPS is normally low, 2 to 3 is more normal but again the level of dissolved CO2 is dependent on other factors besides how much is being added. Try turning it up and see what color the drop checker becomes while monitoring your fishes comfort level and any pearling you get.
The LH side of the tank looks a little bare at the moment. You may want to try moving the wood to the left to about 1/3 position. Might help.
Its going to look a lot nicer when the plants begin to grow in more.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
The shade of green on the drop checker is not only an indication of the CO2 level but also an indication of how many drops of indicator solution you added to start with. You need to compare the color with what you started with, how dark a blue it was. 1 BPS is normally low, 2 to 3 is more normal but again the level of dissolved CO2 is dependent on other factors besides how much is being added. Try turning it up and see what color the drop checker becomes while monitoring your fishes comfort level and any pearling you get.
The LH side of the tank looks a little bare at the moment. You may want to try moving the wood to the left to about 1/3 position. Might help.
Its going to look a lot nicer when the plants begin to grow in more.
Nice, thanks for the reply, yeah it was a royal blue when i put it in! I was thinking about turning it up, i might do that this weekend when i am off!

Yeah i have the microsword growing in the left so when that grows in i'll hopefully have a nice carpet!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
As far as the Macros are concerned I would read this.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303
Nothing wrong that some grow in wouldn't fix. What type Amazon is that ? The regulars get over 2' tall. You might look through the plant section and find an other type of Amazon which doesn't get tha big, but then I generally like my plants in proportioned sized to my tank. Even if there theoretically is such a thing, don't mean everyone likes it that way.
What are the tank dimentions ? I mostly asked because my experience/w the Power Glo is that it's an algae fuel(the intensity of it).
But then the CO2 may keep that under control. Your plant amount is not what EI was designed for so if you go that route I'd
use the tab in the section "and I am dosing for" and use "EI low light/Weekly"...that amount is sufficient for the amount of plants
that you have. That will be found in the fert calculator in the first thread on the fert section. These things take a while to figure
but it's worth it by virtue of the results.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 04-16-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode