How do you guys deal with the protein film on water surface? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you guys deal with the protein film on water surface?

I have plenty of flow.. and it seems to come and go.. what causes it?
I don't want to have to buy a skimmer.. do I need to worry about this?

Where my filter outlet is I get plenty of agitation but almost half the surface still has the white film on it..

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
EI method ferts (started 3/26/14)
4 Coralife 10k daylight bulbs - High output T5 - 54 watts (48in) 2.88 WPG
Eco Complete Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Is this on your 75gal? With CO2?

Any idea where the film is coming from? What are you feeding the fish (type/brands of food)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes.. its my 75.. Im using Omega One color flakes.. thats it right now..

I have reduced my lighting to get rid of some thread algae.. but that is the only change..

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
Eco Complete Sub

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Supplement the filter with a small powerhead aimed just below the surface of the water (just enough to see the water slightly move).

Aim too high and you risk gassing off some of your CO2; aim too low and you don't get rid of the film.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

Mine went away when I broke the surface tension. I aimed my filter outlet up and added some floating plants. I've heard you can also get a paper towel and rest it flat on the surface of your water. When you pull it up, it will obsorb the protein.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

It's a white film like something tiny floating on the surface of the water, or does it seem more greasy?

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

Keeping up with water changes will probably help if more surface agitation isn't an option. I just ignore it on my tank though. All of my parameters are good and I haven't had a death in a while so the film obviously isn't doing much harm.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeant Dude View Post
Keeping up with water changes will probably help if more surface agitation isn't an option. I just ignore it on my tank though. All of my parameters are good and I haven't had a death in a while so the film obviously isn't doing much harm.
Sarge.. I do weekly 30 to 50 percent changes.. and funny thing was this film turned up after the last water change.. but you are right everything seems ok so far.. so I'll just keep an eye on it I guess

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
Eco Complete Sub
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a pic.. not sure if you can see it.

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
Eco Complete Sub
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Got any small powerheads to spare? I wanted to try a surface skimmer without buying one. I was not sure if it would do what I needed. The only out I could find was to make one using spare parts. I had a small pump left over from some long gone table fountain and it just fit the 1 liter soda bottles. I cut the bottom out and poked a hole for the output, added a bit of filter media in the bottle and now it works as a skimmer. Had to cut some really cute slots for the skimming at the top. Hung in a back corner it gives me circulation down low where it may help and skimming at the top where I need it. Some day if I really feel it helps, I plan to paint it black to blend better.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Surface skimmer works every time

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 on the surface skimmer. I got a good one for cheap on amazon. I have a aquaclear hob, and the skimmer attached nicely to existing tubes. It was a little hard to hide, but it does the job well.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

could it be caused by a dead fish that might be decaying somewhere?
It appears my SAE has gone missing

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
Eco Complete Sub
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:38 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yeah the fact that you said your film is "white" (versus just a greasy mostly transparent film) makes me think there's some THING that's floating on the surface... like some fert didn't get mixed in, or something...?

A decomposing fish might do it :/

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I was dealing with that garbage for a while in my 80. At first I thought it might be because I wasn't thawing my frozen foods out before feeding. So I washed the frozen foods before feeding. Still had a ton of the stuff. Sometimes it would get so thick that I could almost scrape it off the surface. The outlet for my canister was on the right hand side pointed toward center and up a little bit. I tried moving my outlet up more but then I had to do top offs more which was a hassle.

So finally I resorted to a small airstone and it went away completely. I don't normally like the look of a mass of bubbles coming up so I kind of hid it behind a lard sword and I've had a crystal clear surface since.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode