HELP PLEASE!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 10 Gallon aquarium that currently houses 2 regular goldfish (The ones that you can win @ a fair), 1 small Placo and I just bought a small frog today! These are the only inhabitants in the tank ever! I want to make it a planted tank but I have heard it is hard to maintain a planted tank in a 10 gallon. These are the things I plan to get within the next 2 days IF it is ok.

***Aqua Clear 500 (500 gph up to 100 Gallon tanks)..(I can get a great deal for 30 bucks)***OR A***Marineland Eclipse 1 Filtration and Illumination System (Hood that fits over my 10 gal with everything built into it)***
I already have a 100watt Tronic heater
1 20lb bag of Eco-Complete putting down 2in
1 50lb bag of Home Depot Sand putting down 1 inch
1 Sun-Glo Fluorescent 15watt bulb (If Eclipse hood is better I won't need this)
*(I know that's not enough watts for my 10gal for live plants but if anyone can tell me where to get a 20+watt bulb that fits my 10 gal strip (18") then that would be great!)
2 peices of bog wood
Maybe about 5-10 easy care live plants

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DO YOU THINK ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 AM

What kind of pleco is it? Many of them will outgrow your 10gl quick. Also goldfish needs much bigger tank.

I just set up a 10gl planted myself last month. I use a 2L coke bottle DIY CO2 with Hagen ladder, double bulb (2x15w 6700 & 9325k), Onyx sand. I would recommend you to get some small schooling fish like tetras, rasboras etc. The goldfish can be a problem later on.

Check the pH and KH of the water. It's harder to keep the water parameters constant in smaller tank but it's not very hard. Is the heater up and running already? 50 watts is aactually enough for 10gl.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 10:20 AM

that seems to be quite a few fish for a 10 gallon. A little too much if you ask me.

I would not get the Aqua Clear 500 for your tank becuase it will be WAY too strong and just blow your plants around like crazy. Try an AC mini or something.

The Eco-complete is very good and you will get approx 3inch of substrate with 20 lbs.

I would not add the sand, as Eco-complete is a complete substrate and works well by itself. Anyways if you add sand it will just go to the bottom of the substrate.

For the lighting, flourscent light have a determind wattage for a specific size. Meaning that you will only be able to use a 15watt bulb in an 18" strip. You could op for a dual strip, a PC retrofit kit, or ODing your light (you can find many good article here about ODing lights)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I recommend Kyle's substrate calculator for figuring depth for Eco-complete- it is bang-on. One 20lb. bag will give you less than 2" in a 10g leader. I physically measured the depth of one bag at ~1.75", so I can confirm his calculations.

James
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Hi, I was looking at the list of stuff you are planning for your ten gal. and i think you are going to have a problem getting 70 pounds of gravel in that tank. I think that is too much if i read that correctly. Its also gonna look pretty funky with the black eco-complete mixed with white or yellow sand. I agree with Evilken on the Aquaclear 500, go witht the Mini or the Whisper mini. For Light, I would get a glass hood and just pick up an extra strip with 15w bulb, this will put you at 3 wpg and you should be able to grow some low light plants.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 02:47 PM

1 x 36 watt or 2x 13 watt CF fixtures from ahsupply work well for 10 gallon tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode