Is he/she going to live? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Is he/she going to live?

So today was the first time in 11 years, that I sucked up one of my fish with the gravel vacuum (1/2inch hose). Every week my cherry barbs and golden barbs test to see how close they can get to the vacuum without being sucked up. Well needless to say one golden barb's got a little to close, he or she was violently sucked up, then spun around and spit into the bucket. After a good chuckle (here come the PETA comments), I immediately returned the fish to the aquarium. The poor little fishy's dorsal fin was split in two, and a couple patches of scales were stripped off. After about an hour the fish seemed to be swimming normally. Questions: Has this happened to you before? And should I of quarantined the fish away from the others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recently had an adult female A. australe get sucked up into my 50ft python gravel cleaner and ended up in my utility sink. Not sure how long it was swimming in the sink but I scooped her up and put her right back in the tank with no acclimation. This was about a month ago and she is doing just fine.

Don't feel bad happens to the best of us.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
happened to me a few times, and all of them survived, the worst time was when this happened to my dwarf puffer and he puffed up and got stuck in the hose...had to cut the hose to get him out, hes still doing well

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can't tell you how many shrimp I have accidentally siphoned up before. 99 times out of 100 they are absolutely fine. Gold barbs are a pretty hardy species so I wouldn't be too worried about losing it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
happened to me a few times, and all of them survived, the worst time was when this happened to my dwarf puffer and he puffed up and got stuck in the hose...had to cut the hose to get him out, hes still doing well
Damn! I bet that was a pain in the rear.

Sounds like this type of thing happens a lot. Hahaha

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-15-2014 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Planted Member

This actually happened to me twice. Both with my fat-head minnows. The first time the little guy popped right in the bucket and I had to net him out.

The second time it was a darker minnow, completely eviscerated him. Exposed stomach, the works, but he was still swimming. So I put him on the pavement and gave him the boot. I felt awful, but now I'm very careful.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebugs View Post
This actually happened to me twice. Both with my fat-head minnows. The first time the little guy popped right in the bucket and I had to net him out.

The second time it was a darker minnow, completely eviscerated him. Exposed stomach, the works, but he was still swimming. So I put him on the pavement and gave him the boot. I felt awful, but now I'm very careful.
Nothing says I'm screwed like an exposed stomach.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Nothing says I'm screwed like an exposed stomach.

LMAO! True.

29 gallon cube with an angelfish named Angelo and 29 gallon with cories waiting for some shrimp friends.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Just get a good lawyer, and cross your fingers

Hoppy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

I sucked up a white cloud minnow once and it broke its spine, died a couple days later. Sometimes even little fish don't survive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode