Interesting article for general discussion - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 11,696
Interesting article for general discussion

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...t.php?sid=6337

Quote:
Something Iíve long admired about this hobby is its tenacity. It has, over the years, been subject to all sorts of accusations, including being geeky or uncool, being unnecessarily expensive (early marine keepers, anyone?) and even being environmentally unsound.

Despite this the hobby and the supporting trade prevails, and even in the face of some fluctuating trends: not least of all that same, damning migration to online purchasing that can wither and drain bricks-and-mortar premises. More than just prevailing, in some cases it actively stands proud, is able to boast expansion, recruitment, and economic growth. Even during this ongoing global economic wobble, fishkeeping is burgeoning.
jeffkrol is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mizuhuman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 426
very intriguing. I didn't read through it completely but I think the biggest dangers to our hobby is the disease and environmental impact. That's why it is so important for hobbyist, novice and experts to understand the potential impact they may have.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mizuhuman is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho, USA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuhuman View Post
very intriguing. I didn't read through it completely but I think the biggest dangers to our hobby is the disease and environmental impact. That's why it is so important for hobbyist, novice and experts to understand the potential impact they may have.
Agreed. Ive seen several documentarys where now in the Amazon huge barges bring not fish for eating, but fish for the hobby trade out of the wild. Same is happening in many other pristine places so that a 10 year old can have a fish for a few months and watch it die. I try really hard to get fishes that are bred in captivity.

The other part that gets me some time is the sustainability of it (esp marine). The products needed to keep a thriving aqaurium seem like are not produced in the most enviromentally friendly way.

Also, CO2 is one of the biggest factors in gloabl warming and we pump it daily. Also the fact its made from fossil fuels isnt a big plus..
Mirkinator is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (267/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
If natural systems are well managed, then this is better than damns, illegal and legal logging, palm plantations, Cattle grazing etc...........

The hobby can help provide some economic resources for the land to stay in it;s ecosystem functional state, those other options? And they are coming like it or not................




Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (144/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
Agreed. Ive seen several documentarys where now in the Amazon huge barges bring not fish for eating, but fish for the hobby trade out of the wild. Same is happening in many other pristine places so that a 10 year old can have a fish for a few months and watch it die. I try really hard to get fishes that are bred in captivity.

The other part that gets me some time is the sustainability of it (esp marine). The products needed to keep a thriving aqaurium seem like are not produced in the most enviromentally friendly way.

Also, CO2 is one of the biggest factors in gloabl warming and we pump it daily. Also the fact its made from fossil fuels isnt a big plus..
Good point, but that beats growing certain high margin "cash crops" so that the locals can feed their families. Or arms trade or human trafficking. The list goes on and on.

Global warming debate aside, co2 does not come from fossil fuels only. It is naturally occurring gas and it's presence in the atmosphere is the basis of all known life.

The electricity that powers our green electric cars - where does it come from? Solar energy, tidal waves, wind generators?

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mirkinator's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho, USA
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Good point, but that beats growing certain high margin "cash crops" so that the locals can feed their families. Or arms trade or human trafficking. The list goes on and on.

Global warming debate aside, co2 does not come from fossil fuels only. It is naturally occurring gas and it's presence in the atmosphere is the basis of all known life.

The electricity that powers our green electric cars - where does it come from? Solar energy, tidal waves, wind generators?

v3
Well i think either way it causes a reduction in the native populations, can cause species become endangered/extinct. Yes I agree with the "its not as bad as XXX" argument, but that doesnt mean its sustainable at all and and that its not detrimental to the environment. Just because something is worse doesnt mean it makes it ok.


For CO2, I talking about the production of industrial CO2 we buy to fill our tanks is mainly produced by a process using natural gas. But it would be really nice if some company came up with an industrial scrubber that could take it from the atmosphere.

And yes i agree we need to move towards cleaner energy infrastructure to get the full benefit of electric vehicles, but what point is that (from the perspective of transportation) if we are all still in gas cars?
Mirkinator is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome