New to the forum and I have some questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the forum and I have some questions

Hello wise people of TPT. My name is Sebastian.

I have been reading this forum and visiting the website for quite some time but I have never posted nor made an account till today, because I finally have questions that I would like to get some answers from TPT experts.

Recently I have picked up 55 gallon fish tank and I'm planing on making it into planted tank (I have zero experience doing planted tanks but I have owned a 20 gallons tank for few years now) and my scare is that my house floor might not be able to hold the tank. I live in the attic of a rental house build in 1920-30's. The apartment starts on the 2nd floor and the attic is just big open space room split with a wall that lead to the closet. 1st floor of the house is a liquor store (owned by my landlord) w/o any walls in the store except the load walls and maybe 4 ft of a wall in the middle of the store. I know a tank this size filled with water is around 600 LBs (give or take few LBs) plus a stand and everything else in the tank. I've read a lot on this forum and other forums about people having 55 gallon tanks on their 2nd/3rd floor of their apartment building, but the more I read the more freaked out I get about it. Figured I would ask some questions and maybe few people who live in a house and have an aquarium on a 2nd/3rd floor can answer.

1. Would it be safe to place a tank against a wall that isn't load wall? (the attic outside wall isn't a house load wall, the wall I'm referring to is a wall that divides the closet and the room)

2. Should I try and find a placement against a load wall if possible? (I could manage finding something but it would require to move some furniture around)

3. I have a 1/2 plywood placed on the bottom of a drawer stand/cabinet I will use for the tank. Will that help some with the stability of the stand/cabinet?

4. The drawer stand/cabinet I use for the aquarium is a store bought furniture. My 20 gallons aquarium has been on a drawer cabinet from IKEA and its been holding for last 3 years without any issues at the moment, but I'm not sure if this drawer cabinet will hold 55 gallon tank. Any thoughts?

Most of the threads I have read about this only mention people living in an apartment building on a 2nd/3rd floor, but they don't mention what kinda floor they have and if the building is new or old.

I will include some pictures of the room and the cabinet so people can say what they think and if I'm over killing this. I just wanna be on a safe side and not kill anyone with a falling down aquarium.

This is half of the room that I live in and the aquarium is placed against a wall that divides closet/storage and my room. Bellow that spot are 2nd floor bedrooms and somewhere where the drawer cabinet is located is a wall that divides those 2 bedrooms.

This is the drawer cabinet that I want to use as my aquarium stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Unless you have access to a friend who's a structural engineer or a contractor or some other professional who might be able to physically inspect your building, I'd personally err on the side of caution and stick with load-bearing walls.

And make sure you are covered by renter's insurance, just in case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

My father has been construction worker for last 12 years. He has build few houses and did rebuilds. In his opinion it should be fine, but for some reason I'm really skeptical maybe because of the store bellow and no walls to support the weight.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Sounds to me like you're probably fine, but you'll sleep better with it on a load-bearing wall, then.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Sounds to me like you're probably fine, but you'll sleep better with it on a load-bearing wall, then.
I think I will freak out every single day till I move or this damn aquarium falls to the 2nd floor >< but thank you for the advice about renters insurance it really add some peace of mind... little but better some than non LOL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

But... hobbies are supposed to REDUCE your stress, not trigger it! LOLOLOL

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You would be surprised with how strong a floor (even up stairs) is. A load bearing wall is meant to be a part of holding up the entire rest of the building. 600lbs is peanuts. I have a friend with a full 120G on the floor of a mobile home without issues so I would say rest at peace and enjoy your aquarium.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzac View Post
I have a friend with a full 120G on the floor of a mobile home without issues so I would say rest at peace and enjoy your aquarium.
Now THAT would give me constant heart palpitations. Talk about waving a red flag in front of a tornado! LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode