Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anaheim, California
How can I get rid of snails?
Hey guys, I recently received some plants from a variety of sources and was wondering what the best way to get rid of those tiny snails are.
Currently I have no substrate, I kind of just threw the plants into an extra tank that I filled with dechlorinated tap water (after a potassium permanganate dip 20 mins / rinse), but there are still snails around! I read up alot on different approaches on taking care of them and am leaning towards using Fenbendazole.
I don't want to use other creatures to kill the snails (clown loaches, assassin snails, etc); I just want to purge them all with a chemical bomb!
I have a few questions though.
- Is this safe for my plants? I have read that it is, but would like confirmation from someone who has done this so that I feel safe lol.
- Should I boil my filter media in my Eheim 2213 to make sure no snail eggs are there? I just started, so there is little to no cycling that has occurred, so killing of beneficial bacteria isn't really a problem.
- And most of all, will it kill the snails? I have read mixed reviews on how effective Fenbendazole is when dealing with the pond snails. Some say it kills them some say it doesn't.
- Also read about No Planaria as another option. Has anyone had any experience with using it?
- Are there any other chemical bomb options for killing snails? (I am planning on having shrimp later though so no copper)
Thanks in advance!