How can I get rid of snails? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
How can I get rid of snails?

Hey guys, I recently received some plants from a variety of sources and was wondering what the best way to get rid of those tiny snails are.

Currently I have no substrate, I kind of just threw the plants into an extra tank that I filled with dechlorinated tap water (after a potassium permanganate dip 20 mins / rinse), but there are still snails around! I read up alot on different approaches on taking care of them and am leaning towards using Fenbendazole.

I don't want to use other creatures to kill the snails (clown loaches, assassin snails, etc); I just want to purge them all with a chemical bomb!

I have a few questions though.

- Is this safe for my plants? I have read that it is, but would like confirmation from someone who has done this so that I feel safe lol.

- Should I boil my filter media in my Eheim 2213 to make sure no snail eggs are there? I just started, so there is little to no cycling that has occurred, so killing of beneficial bacteria isn't really a problem.

- And most of all, will it kill the snails? I have read mixed reviews on how effective Fenbendazole is when dealing with the pond snails. Some say it kills them some say it doesn't.

- Also read about No Planaria as another option. Has anyone had any experience with using it?

- Are there any other chemical bomb options for killing snails? (I am planning on having shrimp later though so no copper)

Thanks in advance!

- Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
another question

I tried a chemical - a product called snail zap, and I think it took out a roseline shark.

If you have fish, I'm curious what people will suggest?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew RJ View Post
I tried a chemical - a product called snail zap, and I think it took out a roseline shark.

If you have fish, I'm curious what people will suggest?
Thank you for your quick reply. At this time, I have no fish or invertebrates (besides those snails...lol), so I am open to all options that are available.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
do you plan to have any inverts in that tank later?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
do you plan to have any inverts in that tank later?
Yes. As mentioned in the latter section of the post, I am planning on keeping shrimp in the future.

What I forgot to mention though is that I do not plan on ever keeping snails of any kind. So if the chemical option kills all snails that will ever be put in, that is fine.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just used No Planaria to rid my shrimp tank of snails.

You have to use the maximum dose for the maximum treatment time. it takes several days for them to all die horrible deaths. But you still have to contend with unhatched eggs so a repeat dose may be needed several weeks later.

You also have to be on your toes to smush any missed by the drug. I've been smushing teeny tiny ones for the last two weeks that I assume are newly hatched.

Didnt harm the shrimp one bit but it does make the water kind of yellowish and foamy.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagerl View Post
I just used No Planaria to rid my shrimp tank of snails.

You have to use the maximum dose for the maximum treatment time. it takes several days for them to all die horrible deaths. But you still have to contend with unhatched eggs so a repeat dose may be needed several weeks later.

You also have to be on your toes to smush any missed by the drug. I've been smushing teeny tiny ones for the last two weeks that I assume are newly hatched.

Didnt harm the shrimp one bit but it does make the water kind of yellowish and foamy.
Ahh thank you for sharing your experience on using No Planaria. It is unfortunate that it does not take care of the eggs as well.

Is there any product that kills the eggs?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Problem is most chemicals that will kill snails will also kill shrimp and getting it out of everything in your tank would be difficult.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

You could pick them out and send them to me for my dwarf puffers
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW8822 View Post
You could pick them out and send them to me for my dwarf puffers
If I continue to have snail problems I just might send them to you lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Problem is most chemicals that will kill snails will also kill shrimp and getting it out of everything in your tank would be difficult.
Mmm, that is the main problem I've run into. I was hoping people would know some alternative ways to permanently getting rid of snails. So far fenbendazole is looking to be the best option (and safest). Has anyone used this to take care of snails before?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I tried fenbenezole and it didn't faze them one bit.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much did you dose?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If there is nothing in there but plants, and you have co2, open up a needle valve and flood the tank with it. The snails will be gone in the morning
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

I know some people do not like snails, but I will never understand the logic. They keep food from just rotting, they break down fish waste into smaller pieces for bacteria and plants to use, and they can even provide food from some fish/shrimp (squeeze them against the glass and the shrimp do the rest).

I think that snails are just part of having a planted aquarium, you can minimize them, but eliminating them with chemicals often starts bigger problems.

I would suggest adding something they will have to compete for food with. This is cooler snails (nirite, apples), ottos, and shrimp. Less food for snails = less snails.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Oxl
Planted Member

Bluebugs is right, my tanks required so much more maintenance before I let the snails proliferate to keep them clean for me. The trumpet snails are pests but pond, ramshorn, and apple snails have no downside as they self regulate their own population and keep the leaves and glass pretty much algae free.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode