Anyone have 2 pairs of cichlid rams in the same tank?!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone have 2 pairs of cichlid rams in the same tank?!?!

I currently have a gorgeous pair of golden rams and 13 cardinal tetras, all doing very well in a heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood from end to end.

pic included

I am not even close to max stock so that is not a concern, I am worried about aggression issues if I add another breeding pair of rams to the tank. I would love a pair of german blue rams.

Do you guys think this can be done without causing havoc in my peaceful tank? Should I avoid another pair of rams? If I get another pair what is the likelihood that they will attack each other?

If its going to be a risky situation I will probably avoid it. I don't want nothing bad happening to my pets. I would like to hear from you guys who have experience with this and what the outcome was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Not sure what size tank you've got, but i wouldn't advise it if it's under 30g. I had to remove a female ram from a breeding pair because she was getting bullied in a heavily-planted 10g
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

its a 75g

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have 3 pairs in a 55g with zero issues. 2 bolivian pairs and 1 gold/blue pair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

they all share the lower part of the tank and never fight? thats good to hear
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
They share the entire tank, mine don't just stick with the lower part. I will often find my female bolivians and female blue ram swimming together. I've never had an aggression issues with the males. I also have it well planted and dither fish to keep everyone feeling safe. I divided the tank into 3rds and created living spaces for each pair. During the day it is a free for all. At night they all go to their homes. I've spot lighted them at night and territories have been selected. I keep the water temp at 78*, I've not had an breeding yet in the tank.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

2nd day after i got my gold rams the female laid eggs. they also paired up immediately.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've raised lots of cichlids but not the rams. Buy in general I find there are some rules to follow when you are not sure.
How big is the interest balanced against things going bad over time? If you really want them and you do have a nice tank for them, it may get down to how you feel if it should become necessary to move one or more out of the tank. I find that if the fish are not grossly overcrowded or one fish is not terribly undersized, any problems that come up will not be sudden and a disaster. You will normally have plenty of time to see trouble starting if you are a bit watchful. Same size fish rarely kill each other without warning when speaking of cichlids. There should be many signs of a gradually increasing problem.
That brings it back down to your personal outlook. I often try things that may not work full time and long term. It gives me a much broader range of things to do with my fish if I don't worry about moving or trading somebody.
If it tears you up to trade any problems, don't try it. But then if you feel a bit bolder and really want them, It may work fine.
Just watch them and have a plan in the back pocket so that when you spot any real trouble brewing, you will be able to act before the week is up.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)
75g would be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
they all share the lower part of the tank and never fight? thats good to hear
Do rams usually stay in the lower part of the tank? I've noticed mine doing that and they're hesitant to go to the top for food even.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Many of the smaller cichlids will be reluctant to go to the top, even for food. Seems to be connected to their fear of birds as predators. Just part of the genetic coding even for those who have never been in the wild?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I had 2 breeding pairs of GBRs in a 10g and a 30g and now have 2 pairs in a 36g. 10g was admittedly too small. I do have some aggression in the 36g but to me it is natural behavior. The aggression is a lot of posturing and zero damage. All have escape routes and a lot of places to hide.

All 4 come up to the surface for feeding and occasional exploring but the surface is ~50% covered in plants and the tankmates are a bunch if spastic rummynoses.

I personally do not foresee any major problems with 2 pairs in a 75g.

v3

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I had 6 for a while in a 36 bowfront when they were young and didn't have any issues.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you are interested in colored fish and blue rams are quite colorful, but you know how much you need to think about aggression issues with rams right? Can I suggest you lookup rainbow fish? You can have a sizable number of them depending on your tank size since they are peaceful.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Never much understood why so many want pair's of the German blue ram's or more than one pair, when so few have water suited for successful spawning (ie) live wriggler's.
I tried my hand at these for some year's before moving on to Discus and found them extremely beautiful but extremely sensitive as well.
Best in my view to keep one pair per tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode