What tank would you go with? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What tank would you go with?

I am torn between 2 tanks. First I am only 5'11"

180 Perfecto which is 72x24x24 (corner overflows)

210 Aqueon which is 72.5x24.5x29.7 (overflows on each site, not in corner)

Which would you guys go with. I am thinking the 180, I really don't think I want to deal with tank that almost 30"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am 5'-11 also and my tank is not as high as yours and I need a step stool to insert my root tabs under substrate. Go with the bigger tank. always go Big.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6' Footers Club Member

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpizzuto View Post
I am 5'-11 also and my tank is not as high as yours and I need a step stool to insert my root tabs under substrate. Go with the bigger tank. always go Big.

I think I have narrowed it down to the Perfecto, just not sure on the size. I avoided getting the 265 because I was worried about the height. I am thinking 220XH would just be trouble like the 265, and the best option would be the 180.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I am 5'10" and have the 30" tall tank. The only area that is a real stretch is the center back. If you do not have a large hood then moving lights to reach the back corners is no problem.

The advantage of a taller tank with live plants is the awesome visual effect of vertical growth. You can grow swords, crinum, vals, longer crypts, even stem plants etc. to their full glory. Here I let some Taiwan lilies reach the top. In a shorter tank this look might feel a bit cramped.

If you do not want angels or discus or some other vertical looking fish, and you also do not want the height for plants, then shorter can work fine. So it depends on what you want in the tank. A bunch of rainbows with java fern or short crypts would look great in the shorter tank.

If you opt for taller, keep the stand so the rim is below your armpit (for quicker reaches) and get a stout step stool.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'd go with the 180. I'm also 5'11" and have a 90 gallon that's 36"x24"x24"h, and that's about as deep as I would want, have to run the muscle shirt even at 24", lol.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I am 5'10" and have the 30" tall tank. The only area that is a real stretch is the center back. If you do not have a large hood then moving lights to reach the back corners is no problem.

The advantage of a taller tank with live plants is the awesome visual effect of vertical growth. You can grow swords, crinum, vals, longer crypts, even stem plants etc. to their full glory. Here I let some Taiwan lilies reach the top. In a shorter tank this look might feel a bit cramped.

If you do not want angels or discus or some other vertical looking fish, and you also do not want the height for plants, then shorter can work fine. So it depends on what you want in the tank. A bunch of rainbows with java fern or short crypts would look great in the shorter tank.

If you opt for taller, keep the stand so the rim is below your armpit (for quicker reaches) and get a stout step stool.

That tank looks really great. Is that perfecto tank? How tall is your stand?

Now I am taking a second guess at not getting the 265, but wife would not be happy about that as it 84x24x30

Thanks again
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is a Marineland 220XH tank. Stand is 29", tall enough for large Eheim canisters underneath.

RAOK Club #76

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your tank making me think twice about the 220 over the 180. My stand going to be 34 inches. I really wanted the 265 they make but big jump in price 1800. LFS can get me the 220 for 1200 and the 180 for 775. Just worried about that 30 inches

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am not going to try and talk you in to either choice. For me the inconvenience of not being able to reach the substrate in the center back is a small price for the larger viewing area. I do not think that PAR readings at your substrate, using a step stool, or any other imagined concern is really much of an issue. No matter how high your stand, a step stool will get you everywhere else you need to go. You will probably want long tools in either case.

If you want any pushing in any direction, tell us more about what kinds of fish and plants you want. That might help you figure this out.

Measure from the ground to your armpit. If your stand plus tank is higher, then you will need a step stool to do any serious maintenance. Not a killer to me since the stool is out whenever I am working the tank anyway.

RAOK Club #76

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 04-07-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: ..
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I am not going to try and talk you in to either choice. For me the inconvenience of not being able to reach the substrate in the center back is a small price for the larger viewing area. I do not think that PAR readings at your substrate, using a step stool, or any other imagined concern is really much of an issue. No matter how high your stand, a step stool will get you everywhere else you need to go. You will probably want long tools in either case.

If you want any pushing in any direction, tell us more about what kinds of fish and plants you want. That might help you figure this out.

Measure from the ground to your armpit. If your stand plus tank is higher, then you will need a step stool to do any serious maintenance. Not a killer to me since the stool is out whenever I am working the tank anyway.
Thanks for the info.
I think either way I will need the stool, be it with a 180 or 220. I could always have the stand built 2" less so 32", total of 62"

As for plants, I would like stuff in the back that kinda, plant and forget it. The front I would like a carpet, the rest of the tank, I really have not thought about it.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
BIGGER! The bigger the tank the more you can cram in there!!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Go big or go home.

A good ladder and good tweezers are very helpful for working on large tanks.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The answer is simple. Both.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Get as big as you can afford.

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
The answer is simple. Both.
problem solved

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode