Diy c02 is spraying tiny bubbles all over my tank. Is this correct correct? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy c02 is spraying tiny bubbles all over my tank. Is this correct correct?

I have a 54 gallon corner aquarium. I have set up 3 two liter bottles for Diy c02. It's creating lots of bubbles and I have it releasing directly into the return pump in my sump. It's creating a spray of fine bubbles throughout the entire tank.

Is this correct? I don't really like the look of it. Should it be diffused so much that you can't see the bubbles?

I tried a air stone but it seemed to hinder the flow of bubbles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yes it is normal. Your return pump is chopping the bubbles up into micro bubbles. If you don't like the look, look into something like a cerges reactor or putting the co2 somewhere else in your sump instead of directly into the return.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBuc View Post
Yes it is normal. Your return pump is chopping the bubbles up into micro bubbles. If you don't like the look, look into something like a cerges reactor or putting the co2 somewhere else in your sump instead of directly into the return.

Am I getting a good absorption into the water with micro bubbles? Or would it be better to diffuse it further?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreynmandy View Post
Am I getting a good absorption into the water with micro bubbles? Or would it be better to diffuse it further?
Yes and no. You are losing a lot of the co2 when the bubbles rise to the surface compared to near 100% diffusion. However, there is a theory claimed by more experienced people than I that the micro bubbles get trapped on leaves and that causes better absorption by the plants. So your co2 level in the water will be lower but the amount of co2 the plants get is still pretty good if not better.

I think in the end it probably evens out well enough and is mostly an aesthetic preference.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode