Moving Plants Cross Country? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Moving Plants Cross Country?

I'm moving from SC to AZ during the first half of May! I'm looking for suggestions on how to move all of my plants while losing as few as possible. From start to finish I think it'll be a 4.5 day drive(I decided that The Exotic Rainforest, in Arkansas, was too far out of the way) with the box truck(yay 55mph!!) and 3 dogs. Though the emersed collection contains the pricier plants, I don't think they will be as difficult to move. I will be selling the fish before I leave.

My current plan is to tear down my filled tanks completely. The emersed plants will probably get moved into a large plastic tote with the water level about the same as normal.

Where I am undecided is do I take the submersed plants and put them in a tote or package as I would for shipping? Obviously a tote is MUCH easier and way less time consuming. Will plants be fine just floating in a tote? I was thinking about picking up a couple battery powered air pumps. Are there some plants that 100% should not go in a tote?

I think a few submersed species such as the Buces & Crypt. sp. 'Flamingo' will definitely be packaged and insulated. So that they are well labeled. Don't wanna lose track of those!!

I know many of you have experience on this subject. Anyone want to share their thoughts on the subject? What worked best for you? What was a total flop?

Thanks for the help in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also for the other crypt folks.... Those pricey emersed crypts... travel in their normal pots or pack them up? I'm thinking pots as most are already well established, the ones that aren't will have just under 2 months, at least, in their pots.

RAOK Club #24

Last edited by johnson18; 04-06-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: words
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
No real advice, just welcome to AZ!
First half of May huh? Just in time for our summer heat-fest to begin LOL

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
man gl....I cant even imagine moving all my tanks that far

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not go far to get the airpumps. Fish are shipped without and as you drive, the water will give a lot of movement for air exchange. In fact, I would not take a lot of water as the plants only need to stay moist and water sloshing and spilling is not what I want when I'm trying to drive. Rather than totes which can spill, I go for large trash bags inside boxes. Double seal the bag just as you would for shipping fish and seal the box. Keep it at a temperature that suits you and they will be fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Had my plants in plastic bags for 3 days with just a bit of water in each (just enough to keep them wet) and then in a styrofoam fish box to insulate them against the cold as they had to spend approx 15 hours in an aircraft at 30,000 ft. They all made it no problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was only thinking a couple inches max as you're correct, not much is needed. The totes I was thinking of using/already own are taller totes so I don't think spillage will be an issue.

RAOK Club #24

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode