Potted Plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potted Plants

Is there and big difference when buying plants if they are potted or loose? My lfs sells lots of the potted ones and can be a lot cheaper at time. 3 for $15 sales often.

So If you do buy potted do you leave them in the pots or take them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Planted Member

I immediately remove potted plants from their pots and take all the rock wool, or whatever that stuff is, off the roots until the plants are bare root.

2 2.5s, 3 10s, 2 20s, 1 29. Low light, low tech. Ponds
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I found out that some potted plants have more individual plants than those sold in bundles. I've bought crypts in pots that always have roughly 8-10 small individual plants. I've also bought them in bundles on a few occasions and usually only receive 4-5 plants per bundle. I'm almost sure the lfs owner where I got my crypts last week got a $6.99 pot and made 2 separate $6 bundles.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I generally prefer to buy bare-root because I can see the roots, and I don't have to deal with removing rock wool, which has to be done slowly and carefully to avoid damaging roots. (Tweezers, toothpicks and a bucket of fresh dechlorinated water are essential for that messy job.) Some people do use potted plants specifically for quarantine tanks, discus tanks, goldfish tanks, or other specific set-ups, but I'd guess most PlantedTank folk like to depot and plant.

Deborah
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

I've found potted plants, especially ones that have been in store for a while to be the best bang for your buck. Pretty much every crypt, sword or dwarf sag I've gotten from a pot has had multiple sprouts coming out of the root system. One time i separated a pot of $4 unidentified crypt into 8 individual plants and all did well.

In regards to wanting to see the roots, most of the time you can judge a root system by looking at the lushness and pretense of new growth, and the fact the almost all pots have a million mini roots bursting out of them..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode