petsmart/national geographic - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
petsmart/national geographic

Has anyone been to petsmart lately? Looks like they are starting to keep a new line of product, national geographic. Anyone take a look at some of the products/what do you guys think? Only really looked at the the led's, I wouldnt buy it as its pretty expensive compared to a finnex/current led setup which I can trust. Also saw some new filters/heaters/food. Very interesting...never knew national geographics had this product line lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just looked at them online, not much info as far as lumens and what color/temp the lights are
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I saw a display at Petco for current sat+. Maybe pet smart is trying to compete with Petco on planted aquarium supplies.

Warranty not included

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

When ever I see something like this, a National Geographic "endorsement" or brand on a product that has nothing to do with them at all, a red flag goes up. To me, this says it's a lousy product, so they had to use the known company's name to try to get some suckers to buy the product.

Over the years, how many articles have you ever seen in National Geographic that said anything about the aquarium hobby? I can think of a few, but not nearly enough to consider then an expert.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yep going to have to agree for now with most of you guys (wasnt planning on buying anything) just thought it was interesting seeing a change and also interesting as ive never even heard of national geographics and fish products lol

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually stopped by today and noticed they are carrying their own brand as well for water treatments, fish food, filters, etc. I noticed those national geographic filters too but man where they expensive I think $140 for a 30 gallon filter!! That explains al, their clearance sales they're stocking up new brands
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
They both have been changing in my area. At petco during the sale they were putting out a lot of coralife stuff, they even had purigen, matrix and some eheim stuff. Never seen them in stores here at all. They also had more filters and even had some fx6, overpriced but surprised they carried it. Seems the planted tank bug is catching on. Or they get finally figured out the experienced people have to shop online because,no one carries good stuff

-Chris
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 AM

I was at petsmart earlier today and noticed the canister closely resembles the eheim Ecco pro canister. I wonder how the 2 compare.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by random hero View Post
I was at petsmart earlier today and noticed the canister closely resembles the eheim Ecco pro canister. I wonder how the 2 compare.

I looked at the price of the canister only and was like nope lol from what I remember it was ridiculously expensive.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
I'm curious who's making these for them?
I noticed the filters and heaters were made in germany
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
The one HOB filters that I looked at when I was there looked to be cheap nockoffs that are not good quality. Didnt open it of course but the pictures showed that it didnt have much options. Kinda strange they just suddenly went and started making this stuff.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
They have terrariums too - similar to Exo Terra and Zoo Med, but with a screen section on a third of the right side. I don't know about the quality 'cause it was in the box.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

I got a bag of the National Geographic brand inert black gravel last week. I couldn't be happier with it, it does everything I would expect from inert black gravel. It sits there and covers the floor and looks black, 4/5 stars, would buy again...

...or literally any other brand, whatever's cheapest man...

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I noticed the National Geographic heaters, look slim but no temp adjustment. Saw mention of use of it in a betta forum, said if bare kept a pico tank at 74F :/

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode