Anyone have luck with Deepblue t5 lights? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone have luck with Deepblue t5 lights?

Hey guys I am setting up a 20 gallon planted aquarium.
I already have a filter and substrate. I am currently looking for some lighting.
As most of you guys know, lights are EXPENSIVE. My local aquarium shop sells all sorts of lights. They have Fluval lights, aqueon lights, Eheim lights, t5 lights, t8 lights, etc.
Of the plethora of lights they have, one of them is by a brand called DeepBlue. I have never heard of this brand, but the light fixture is cheap. A 30 inch t5 HO light with mirror like reflectors is about 36 dollars! Compared to the name brand 30 inch t5 HO lights, this is pretty cheap. This brand even sells 50 watt heaters for 10 dollars! This all just seems too good to be true. So, before I spend my money, I would like to know if any of you guys have heard of this brand and/or had luck with their lights/other products.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've gone through about five of their SolarMax HE lights in the last five years... In fact, just had one die on me today. I'd say you pay for what you get, but my standard T8 hoods from garage sales and freebies last me way longer than those have...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That's not very good.... Do any of you know any good, but cheap 30in light fixtures? Preferably t5s.
Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Maybe not what you're looking for, but if you want cheap, it's hard to beat the price of clamp lights like this:

And you can still get pretty decent PAR from those...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got 3 Deep Blue T5 NO fixtures, including one I bought from a friend. They work fine.

Last edited by MChambers; 04-06-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: changed "fixture" to "fixtures"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yes I have heard of these clamp on lights. I hear they are quite good and cost effective. However, for a 20 gallon I may need 2 lights and I already have about 6 or 7 things plugged in to one electronic strip. Thanks for the input though. I will still look in to it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've got clamp lights on some 20L tanks and they work good. Don't worry about having too much plugged into an outlet as the cfl bulbs draw very little wattage. Try Aquatraders.com for cheap strip and LED lighting. I have them on some of my tanks for a couple of years with no trouble at all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode