Last edited by kenshinH; 04-06-2014 at 02:25 AM. Reason: add text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://www.petco.com/product/123702/...plies_Lighting
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
IMO three bulbs will bring you into the 50-70 PAR range which will need CO2 to keep
out the algae. That tank is going to be difficult to light. Putting enough light to see
the bottom well is going to bring up the PAR quite a bit in the upper half.
It will cut the light slightly but give much better coverage all over it if you get two
fixtures. One being a single bulb fixture. That is why I showed the Zoo Med as it's
listed in the reptile section and most don't even know it exist because of this.
Catalina also makes one of good quality but at twice the cost of this one.
Reading that PAR article will let you know what to expect.
There is a low/high light section which tells you what goes/w each.
You can put two two bulb fixtures if you either use injected CO2 or raise them up off
the top to about 12".
You likely won't need CO2/w three bulbs if you have lots of plants. But before they get
started good it may show up. If so reducing the length of light or raising the fixture
will stop it till the plants are growing well.
Getting two fixtures instead of one three bulb fixture will allow you to put them at front and back...much better than one fixture.
This is not a pink bulb. It is 6700K and looks white when lit. Best color from a bulb I ever had for true color in tank/w no glair.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=13823
This I am betting on the rep of the first one/have not used..but for brightness in that deep tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=13826
I have a two bulb fixture and use one of these with one of the first one and it does give a slight pink look at first but after a
month I don't even notice it being a bit pink. But with three and two white ones the pink will be even less noticible.
But this is a bulb in the spectrum used by horticulture people just for growing plants and exclusively even in some cases
But brings out any red in fish or plants/w red in them..
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=21444

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 04-06-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Bulbs
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the quick reply! The tank has a pressurized C02 and i am following the EI dosing(dry) 100-125 gallons, except for Kno3, i put less KNo3 ( 1/2 tsp )
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...=1#post1257519

And this is my light fixture:
http://www.amazon.com/WavePoint-48-I.../dp/B0027J4SCI
I use 1 zoomed ultra sun and 2 flora sun

The reason i ask is because im having a little bit of algae problem, The hair like algae and the one that grows in my driftwood

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Saw this yesterday but was on my way to work.
Do you mean 1/2 tsp less as in you dose 1 tsp instead of 1.5 tsp or do you mean that you only dose 1/2 tsp ?
Only 1/2 is not enough. That is one of themain ferts that run short and if
any run short it stops plant growth at that point.
I presume you have a link to the list of recommended PPM on the ferts.
If you have reduced that one because your nitrates are over 15 PPM then you can add more K2SO4 to compensate and not raise the nitrate.
They are about equal(enough) to use them intercangably as far as dose amounts like tsp x 1/2 or 3/4 etc. So if you dropped the KNO3 to 1/2 tsp
you can get equal K by using 1 tsp more in the K2SO4 in this case.
I can't see that on the wood well enough. Hope not but could be BBA.
The hair algae is simple to be rid of by just using less hrs on light. Or raising them up a bit.
I am 100 pro Zoo Med but didn't think it would be enough in that depth.
I use two Flora's in my T8 tank/w two bulbs.
When that Ultra sun is old try one of those True Lumen Flora's in it's place
for great(true) color.
Good plant growth is best to fight most algae but won't compensate for light that is way too high. How about a shot of the whole tank ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Saw this yesterday but was on my way to work.
Do you mean 1/2 tsp less as in you dose 1 tsp instead of 1.5 tsp or do you mean that you only dose 1/2 tsp ?
Only 1/2 is not enough. That is one of themain ferts that run short and if
any run short it stops plant growth at that point.
I presume you have a link to the list of recommended PPM on the ferts.
If you have reduced that one because your nitrates are over 15 PPM then you can add more K2SO4 to compensate and not raise the nitrate.
They are about equal(enough) to use them intercangably as far as dose amounts like tsp x 1/2 or 3/4 etc. So if you dropped the KNO3 to 1/2 tsp
you can get equal K by using 1 tsp more in the K2SO4 in this case.
I can't see that on the wood well enough. Hope not but could be BBA.
The hair algae is simple to be rid of by just using less hrs on light. Or raising them up a bit.
I am 100 pro Zoo Med but didn't think it would be enough in that depth.
I use two Flora's in my T8 tank/w two bulbs.
When that Ultra sun is old try one of those True Lumen Flora's in it's place
for great(true) color.
Good plant growth is best to fight most algae but won't compensate for light that is way too high. How about a shot of the whole tank ?

I am doing dry dose, but instead of the recomended 1 1/2 0f KNo3 i only dose 1/2tsp
100-125 Gallons
1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp (30ml) traces 3x a week

I also have a little bit of hair algae on my java moss
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Like the other member said, KNO3 is used for growth, when you cut the nutrient short it will slow the plant growth and give the algae an upper hand. When CO2 comes into play which you said you are using, you may need to bump up the amount going in, and when you do that then the EI ferts are going to be used even quicker.

Like every member who has overcome BBA/Staghorn it's about making the plants grow to their full potential rather than trying to attack the algae. I would say follow the EI dosing schedule that is suggested by any of the online calculators. KNO3, is quickly used up, really no need to reduce it unless you are seeing adverse effects. I thought the same thing and the algae got worse. I have ridded my tank of BBA by making sure the plants have everything they need.

NOW onto your original question- 3 T5HO 48" should be fine, but haven you considered LED lighting? I went from T5HO to LED and will not be going back (I still use the T5HO, but from what I've seen the LED grows the plants just as effectively if not better than the T5) plus the life of the LEDs are greater and the reduction of energy use is nice. I have a 24" tall 60 gallon and my Finnex Ray2 penetrates all the way to the bottom of the tank with anywhere from 70-90 PAR at the substrate, which is a lot. See what other members say and from there make your decision, my opinion is LED though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode