Bigger Filter or Power Head? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bigger Filter or Power Head?

This is my second tank since last summer. It's a standard 75g with an XP2 filter, Hydor inline heater and two 4' T8s in a shop light from Home Depot. I'm using API Co2 boost and Flourish in both liquid and tablet forms.

The fish load is pretty low with three Red Blue Tetras, six black skirt tetras, two false Julies and three Peppered Cories.

With the added plants, driftwood and inline heater I'm not getting the flow I would like. I have tried using a spray bar and just an open outlet. My Rena didn't come with the jet (got it second hand).

Should I upgrade to a filter that's rated for a much larger tank or just ad a power head?

Also, all my plants seem to be doing fine except for the large sword in the middle. It use to be bright green and super thick.

Here's a pic of how it is right now. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks!

Sent via Droid Maxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Close up of the sword. Not sure which species it is.

Sent via Droid Maxx
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would just get a power head and put it on the opposite end of the tank from the filter outtake. I did that on my 38 gallon and have no dead spots plus a power head is easily moved and adjusted to your desired direction.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not add to the filtering until there are real signs that the current filter is not up to the job. I keep in mind what the filter is meant to do for me. Mechanical to keep the water looking clean, bio to process ammonia, are the two I need most. I suspect your filter is doing all that is required. So for flow, it gets down to dropping $80+ to get one spot moving better or $20 to 50 to get the same. I go for the powerhead over the filter for movement, if needed. They are comparativley cheap, versatile and certainly far less maintenance. You can hide them behind rocks or wood far easier than a couple filter tubes.
If money is not too tight, try going with one of the Koralia line for great long term value. Far better mounting options with less noise and I also find the design of the cage makes them far less nuisance from clogging when leaf debris gets in them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's good to know about the Koralia power heads. I saw a few video reviews about the Aqueons clogging easily.

I suppose I'll put the filter outlet on the front left with the inlet on the back left and the power head on the back right.

Thanks for the replies!

Sent via Droid Maxx
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
The sword could very well be a species that is supposed to turn red.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

looks like a rubin sword
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I meant to mention the sword looks much like one I have except it may need a bit more light to turn a nice red/ burgundy color??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with the suggestion not to add more filtration as it is not necessary and you will have trouble increasing your flow significantly. A power head or external pump will do that well. I went with an external pump because I did not want a big black power head hanging in my tank, I want as little of the hardware showing as possible. I've got a 46g and went with a 512 gph pump and it is a good flow without being excessive. Using 19mm lily tubes on it I get a constant vortex from the surface even with the top of the lily flare 1" below the surface. I'd suggest about 700 to 900 gph and possibly split the out let into 2 to get a good flow around the tank. Mine flows across the surface back to front, down the front, and across the substrate front to back. That keeps the plants straight up and not bent at weird angles, especially the vals.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNC View Post
This is my second tank since last summer. It's a standard 75g with an XP2 filter, Hydor inline heater and two 4' T8s in a shop light from Home Depot. I'm using API Co2 boost and Flourish in both liquid and tablet forms.

The fish load is pretty low with three Red Blue Tetras, six black skirt tetras, two false Julies and three Peppered Cories.

With the added plants, driftwood and inline heater I'm not getting the flow I would like. I have tried using a spray bar and just an open outlet. My Rena didn't come with the jet (got it second hand).

Should I upgrade to a filter that's rated for a much larger tank or just ad a power head?

Also, all my plants seem to be doing fine except for the large sword in the middle. It use to be bright green and super thick.

Here's a pic of how it is right now. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks!

Sent via Droid Maxx

Your plant's are doing fine as you say with the exception of the echinodorus Rubin which could prolly benefit from a root tab every three month's.
XP2 is a bit weak for 75 gal in my view. I run an XP3 on 55 gal and it's just right.
But if the plant's are doing well, I might not change anything for now.
As plant mass increases, then you may wish to consider larger filter or a powerhead to ensure good flow throughout.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Close up of the sword. Not sure which species it is.

Sent via Droid Maxx
Is that algae to the left, right behind the sword?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chris_Produces; 04-07-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Info
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
I agree with the suggestion not to add more filtration as it is not necessary and you will have trouble increasing your flow significantly. A power head or external pump will do that well. I went with an external pump because I did not want a big black power head hanging in my tank, I want as little of the hardware showing as possible. I've got a 46g and went with a 512 gph pump and it is a good flow without being excessive. Using 19mm lily tubes on it I get a constant vortex from the surface even with the top of the lily flare 1" below the surface. I'd suggest about 700 to 900 gph and possibly split the out let into 2 to get a good flow around the tank. Mine flows across the surface back to front, down the front, and across the substrate front to back. That keeps the plants straight up and not bent at weird angles, especially the vals.
I really like the idea of having an external pump mounted in the cabinet below the aquarium. Maybe I can find a "Y" valve that I can use to pump water from a bucket in the floor in to the tank. So I could just flip two valves instead of pouring 4-5 buckets of water directly in to the tank during water changes. Two birds one stone kind of deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Your plant's are doing fine as you say with the exception of the echinodorus Rubin which could prolly benefit from a root tab every three month's.
XP2 is a bit weak for 75 gal in my view. I run an XP3 on 55 gal and it's just right.
But if the plant's are doing well, I might not change anything for now.
As plant mass increases, then you may wish to consider larger filter or a powerhead to ensure good flow throughout.

I had a tab under it but after reading your post I realized it's been a while since I've put one under there. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
Is that algae to the left, right behind the sword?
I don't see what you're seeing but there is some black brush algae on my back ground plants. It's only a tiny amount and hasn't gotten any worse after a few months. Should I be concerned?

Sent via Droid Maxx
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't see what you're seeing but there is some black brush algae on my back ground plants. It's only a tiny amount and hasn't gotten any worse after a few months. Should I be concerned?

Sent via Droid Maxx
It could just be sand particles of a different color other than the white-ish color. I just wanted to make sure. If you can't see it with the tank in front of you, then I wouldn't be concerned.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Produces View Post
It could just be sand particles of a different color other than the white-ish color. I just wanted to make sure. If you can't see it with the tank in front of you, then I wouldn't be concerned.
Oh, that is part of my circulation issues. That spot collects all the debris and fish poop because of the driftwood.

Sent via Droid Maxx
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, that is part of my circulation issues. That spot collects all the debris and fish poop from the driftwood.

Sent via Droid Maxx
Oh, I got ya.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode