Seed shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question Seed shrimp?

It's really hard to take a picture of this guy running around, as hes really fast. I found him crawling around on my substrate right in front of the tank. He takes off swimming pretty often too. I'm thinking seed shrimp? He must've hitchhiked in on some plants. What do you guys think? Harmless?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like a scud to me. Some folks say harmless but my experience has been different. I had them in 10 gal. shrimp tank. They multiplied to the point that all I saw swimming in the tank were scuds. They became very aggressive and I saw them attacking and eating shrimp. They also destroyed my Christmas moss. Put some rasboras in there and they helped reduce the population but also feasted on baby shrimp. So I ended up breaking down the tank and starting over. Now scudless and happy. They originally came in on plants from one of the LFS in my area. Bottom line: who needs them? I'd do away with the little pest.
Attached Images

Last edited by OldMike; 04-05-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: add pic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That looks just like what I have. So, scuds huh?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

If there are predatory fish in the tank their numbers should be kept under control because they make tasty treats. I used to net them and drop them in my other tank and they never made it to the substrate. Best to not give them a chance to get established. My $.02
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, most fish find them quite tasty. In tanks where they don't go out of control, they can be a beneficial clean up crew for smaller particles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thats for the responses. I ended up adding soda water to the tank and flushed the guy out. He met his demise inside a turkey baster. I am hoping it was just the one guy that hitchhiked in, however I am aware that mindset is probably wishful thinking. I will be doing the soda water treatment again in a few days and see if I can flush any more out of hiding.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode