New Tank setup - Please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy New Tank setup - Please help

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to this forum and I'm hopping that I can find some help from here for my new tank setup.

I had a 55 gallon tank that my wife want to plant a plants in it along with some fish. I have been trying on this for 2 years and it failed. All the plants is dying after couple months and if they alive, they does not look green or does not look nice. I did try to replace the gravel with CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate; liquid feterlize and even adding a CO2 tank but the result is always the same: plants die or does not looks nice/green.

Last week, I break down the tank: trash everything: plants, substrate...

Would anyone please help me on building up again and keeping it green and looks nice as yours tank.

Thanks
KEY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
What kind of lighting do you have on the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Lighting is probably the biggest part (intensity and length of time), then temp range you keep the tank. Fertilization is potentially an issue, but the first two items are much more important.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

It may help if you list what you will be using as equipment including fish and plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Agree with above posts, details on lights (time, height above tank (if raised above rim)), and other equipment will help.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm using LED lights. ==> How much light brightness is enough? How to to define the brightness?

The tank is completely covered with it lid. ==> Is this problems?

Room temp and the tank water height is about 18" - 20" (will measure when come home)

All the plants I got before are all under water.

The timing for the light is 8-10 hours / day.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
What brand LEDs? There are a lot out there and every one is different.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Do you remember the names of any of the plants you purchased and/or can you post a photo of them?

Unfortunately, many of the Big Box pet stores are notorious for selling "aquarium plants" that are not in fact truly aquatic plants- they set a person up to fail, as these species always will die over time.

So that's another possibility.

Definitely need more information about your lighting and overall setup to be able to give you any more specific help, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I do not know the name but all the plants I bought is coming from PetCo.
LED is custom made by me. I also made LED for my saltwater reef tank and they doing fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode