Quarantine tank options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quarantine tank options

I will be setting up my new tank in May, and want to get some quarantine tanks up and running before then. My new tank going to be 84x24x24

I was thinking of the following layout

2 - 20L

or

1 - 20L
3 - 10's

What do you guys think? At first they would all be full of new fish, but as time went out I would not need them very much only when I get new fish, so mostly would use to grow out plants and keep some fry in. So maybe option 2 would be better?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, it depends on what you have the room for.

Most of the fish you buy are usually small enough that a month or so quarantined in a 10 is just fine. Having a 20 long will be good for those larger fish that are still juveniles.
10 gal and 20 long are close enough to the same height that it will not make a lot of difference in plant height when they are used as grow out tanks.
Having at least one 10 on hand could be useful down the road if you need to hospitalize any fish. Many meds are dosed based on 10 gallon volume of water, and it is more economical to dose 10 gallons than 20. Of course a larger fish would be better hospitalized in a larger tank.

OK, I think I am coming down on the side of the mix of 10s and 20s. There are uses for each.

Get the quarantine tanks set up and cycling so they are ready to handle the fish when you start buying.

You can also do a fishless cycle in a bucket of water to have more cycled media ready whenever you need it. I like the Aquaclear filters for this concept: The media is cycled by being loose in the bucket. When I want to set up another tank I just stuff some of that media into a filter with a large chamber and the tank is ready to go, at least for the few fish that I buy at any one time. Add new media to the bucket and it grows bacteria quickly with the other (cycled) media in there to act as a seed source. Sort of like a revolving cycle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Well, it depends on what you have the room for.

Most of the fish you buy are usually small enough that a month or so quarantined in a 10 is just fine. Having a 20 long will be good for those larger fish that are still juveniles.
10 gal and 20 long are close enough to the same height that it will not make a lot of difference in plant height when they are used as grow out tanks.
Having at least one 10 on hand could be useful down the road if you need to hospitalize any fish. Many meds are dosed based on 10 gallon volume of water, and it is more economical to dose 10 gallons than 20. Of course a larger fish would be better hospitalized in a larger tank.

OK, I think I am coming down on the side of the mix of 10s and 20s. There are uses for each.

Get the quarantine tanks set up and cycling so they are ready to handle the fish when you start buying.

You can also do a fishless cycle in a bucket of water to have more cycled media ready whenever you need it. I like the Aquaclear filters for this concept: The media is cycled by being loose in the bucket. When I want to set up another tank I just stuff some of that media into a filter with a large chamber and the tank is ready to go, at least for the few fish that I buy at any one time. Add new media to the bucket and it grows bacteria quickly with the other (cycled) media in there to act as a seed source. Sort of like a revolving cycle.
Thanks for the advise

I have room for the following either:

3- 10 tanks & 1- 20L

2- 20L

1- 40B & 20L

1- 40B & 3- 10

So many options, the 40B would be nice for grow out, but I think it going to be a bit to large, and since my display tank going to already be 200 gallons, with 75 gallon sump, do I really want to have that many more tanks, I am thinking no.

I think simple is better at this point.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Would like to get my tanks soon while the $1 gallon sale going on.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
i have 1 20l and 3 10gs on a rack for breeding/quarantine. it gives way more options than 2 20's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i have 1 20l and 3 10gs on a rack for breeding/quarantine. it gives way more options than 2 20's.
Thanks for the info.

I am thinking that the way I will go as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode