Need help with new tank set up. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with new tank set up.

Hello, thanks for reading. I have a 40 gallon breeder just finishing cycling. I have 1"-1.5" dirt front to back. About same for pool filter sand. I got quite a bit of hiding places from some rocks I put together, I just got a few plants in.(Anacharis and Wisteria-java moss too) I got a penguin 350 and a dual sponge filter, 2 shop lights approx: 140 total fluorescent watts. I just got a great deal on 8 peppered corys, $1 a piece! I'm hoping I didn't get too many. Because I want an albino BN pleco along with maybe 4 already paired GBR's also. I also had maybe like 10 or so cardinals or neons in mind.I would go for zebra danios, dwarf gourami, otos too. maybe throw some RCS in there when the time comes. I'm slowly putting this thing together, I'm pretty new to the little more advanced side of fishkeeping so any help would be great. Tell me any ideas or what you think about species, equipment, and/or stock. BTW money is somewhat an issue. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

8 peppered corys: Cool water species of Cory, but adaptable.
albino BN pleco: One is fine in this size tank, but not enough room for more. No other algae eaters. Are you going to find the long finned form?
4 already paired GBR's: With plenty of hiding places 2 pair ought to be OK. They need warmer temps for breeding, not compatible with Pepper Cories. Also, Cories do not seem to respect the territories of Rams, and there could be some problems.
10 or so cardinals: Warm water fish. Compatible with the Rams. Go for more than 10.
or neons: Cooler water fish than the Cardinals, compatible with the Cories. Do not get both Cards and Neons, but whichever you get, get plenty of them.
zebra danios: Cooler water fish, and can harass the others. I like the long finned Leopard ones. The long fins makes them swim a bit slower, so they cannot keep pestering the others. They tend to swim higher in the tank than the Tetras. I would not do more than one school. Cards... or Neons... or Danios. Pick one species
dwarf gourami: Just one. They are territorial toward other Anabantoids. Nice for some color at the top of the tank. Warm water fish.
otos: Not with the Bristle nose. Pick one or the other species. Both are good algae eaters, but there is not going to be enough food for both. Up to half a dozen Otos, or 1 ABN.
Don't know about the shrimp. Could end up on the menu of any of the larger fish (Rams, Gourami)

I would end up like this:
6 Otos, 20 Cards, 4 Rams.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
8 peppered corys: Cool water species of Cory, but adaptable.
albino BN pleco: One is fine in this size tank, but not enough room for more. No other algae eaters. Are you going to find the long finned form?
4 already paired GBR's: With plenty of hiding places 2 pair ought to be OK. They need warmer temps for breeding, not compatible with Pepper Cories. Also, Cories do not seem to respect the territories of Rams, and there could be some problems.
10 or so cardinals: Warm water fish. Compatible with the Rams. Go for more than 10.
or neons: Cooler water fish than the Cardinals, compatible with the Cories. Do not get both Cards and Neons, but whichever you get, get plenty of them.
zebra danios: Cooler water fish, and can harass the others. I like the long finned Leopard ones. The long fins makes them swim a bit slower, so they cannot keep pestering the others. They tend to swim higher in the tank than the Tetras. I would not do more than one school. Cards... or Neons... or Danios. Pick one species
dwarf gourami: Just one. They are territorial toward other Anabantoids. Nice for some color at the top of the tank. Warm water fish.
otos: Not with the Bristle nose. Pick one or the other species. Both are good algae eaters, but there is not going to be enough food for both. Up to half a dozen Otos, or 1 ABN.
Don't know about the shrimp. Could end up on the menu of any of the larger fish (Rams, Gourami)

I would end up like this:
6 Otos, 20 Cards, 4 Rams.
That's probably what I would go for as well. But I think Jordan94 already has the cories though? " I just got a great deal on 8 peppered corys, $1 a piece!"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Correct I did just get them.thanks for both of your imput. Btw not lookin for long fin. I'm quite headstrong on BN and 2 pair GBR. But not completely set. I'm just unsure I guess. I want my 10 for RCS Breeding for a cool shrimp tank baby's for feeders and adults in 40 maybe? Any body have their adults survive in planted? Any other thoughts on keeping Cory's in a similar 40 setup? Or make room in my 29 for them somehow.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I love cories, I have a tank full of them. They love to dart back in forth, so they need lots of room. I'd put them in the 40, with the pleco. You could get some mid water or top water fish in the 40 as well, since the cories are bottom feeders. I'd Put the shrimp in the 10. As far as the GBR's I've never kept them so I couldn't tell you much, I know that the cories don't care about boundaries so that could be an issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode